cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV image fuzzy/blurry/pixellated

I have a wired connection to my now TV box, and I'm watching it on a 4khd TV. Recently everyone I watch something the image is really blurry/fuzzy it definitely isn't the Internet as if I come out of the box set I'm trying to watch and go to bbciplayer through now TV it works perfectly and has a perfect image. I then try the box sets ... blurry still.... 😞
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Welcome to the Forum 🙂

Can you try following these steps:

• Check for updates
  • Manually set the bit rate
  • Reset the box

Check for updates
On the NOW TV remote:

1. Quickly press Home x5, Fast Forward x3 then Rewind x2 in this order.
  2. Select Update Software then press OK.

This needs to be done even if the version numbers are the same to make sure the software's updated and any faults in the current software are repaired.
These instructions can also be found on the NOW TV ROI Help Centre.
If this doesn't work, try unplugging the NOW TV box and wireless router for a few minutes the plug them back in starting with the wireless router. You'll need to set your NOW TV box back up and once you've done this, go back to the NOW TV app and try playing out again.

Manually set the bit rate
On your NOW TV remote:

1. Quickly press Home x5, Rewind x3 then Fast Forward x2 in this order.
  2. We recommend you select the 2.0 MBPS or 2.5 MBPS option as they'll give you the best quality compared to the other options.

You could also try moving your NOW TV box closer to your wireless router to see if the poor playout is being caused by something in your house blocking the wireless signal to your box.

Reset the box
Hard reset
On the back of the NOW TV box, press the Reset button for at least 30 seconds (the screen may go blank before the time's up but it's important to continue to hold in the button for the full 30 seconds).
Factory reset
Using your NOW TV remote:

1. Go to Settings and select System.
  2. Select Factory Reset.
  3. Select Factory reset everything and press the Play / Pause button three times.

Once the reset's complete, you'll need to set your NOW TV box back up.
If this hasn't worked, try connecting it to the router via an Ethernet cable to see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks Niamh NOWTV Team 😉

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @tothbros 

Forgot to mention that both my NOW 4K Smart box and Roku Stick Plus that both runs on direct WiFi remote control for me eats through batteries, where i am changing the remote batteries every 4 weeks or so.

I have ditched the NOW Voice Smart Remote (not bothered myself about voice commands or quick direct access keys) where i am using the older style infra red remote with the NOW 4K Box and the batteries last much longer (obviously this will not work on the Roku Stick Plus because it hasn't got an IR receiver on it).

I also own an Amazon 4K Stick that operates over Bluetooth and it was around 6 months before i had to replace the batteries.

I am also assuming the other three older black boxes are connected on other televisions around your home and you have tried the NOW 4K Box on one of these other televisions with the existing Ethernet wiring from the older box.

tothbros
Scholar 2

you're right about the batteries, i'm using rechargable ones.

the roku 3 remotes get used up even quicker when i use the private listening mode and plug in earbuds.

and yes, i tried the NOW box in different rooms...

so thanks to your suggestion, the issue is resolved, but using wifi has disadvantages. that is why i moved to a wired setup in the first place.

still a mystery though...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much!!! It's working now!! SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue here, especially the last couple of months. Pretty much every other app on my Roku works fine and resetting the box only resolves the issue for a few minutes. I'm not renewing my subscription after this month.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just gone through the palava on live chat ......told him ive reset/done bit rate/software update.....to be told your box must be faulty return to retailer you boughy it from.....absolute idiot who hasnt got a clue 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this issue on Sky Cinema now after years with no problems at all.

I know it is definitely a NOW TV server streaming issue because:

• when I flipped over to Entertainment Live Streaming it was fine - so it isn't my stick, wireless connection or internet connection
  • works fine on laptop last time I tried it
  • it was fine for several hours one day ago but has now gone back to deteriorated, and the Entertainment channels have deteriorated now as well.

I tried the suggestions above but they make no difference.

I only really use the Live Streams, so if it doesn't improve by the time renewal comes around I will cancel it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Join the list of people having same problem.....mine is on smart box and old black box.When i went on live chat i was given the normal 5h1te..... reset box/check internet/jump up & down/turn around etc to be told as smart box is less than 1 yr old it must be broken and to take back to tesco and refund/replace

Then when chat had ended informed via email that case was closed as it had been solved/sorted

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup, me too.

I've been using NOWTV via the Roku 2 box (hard wired) to watch sports channels (pay as you go) for a year with no problems at all.

All of a sudden over the last few days the picture quality has deteriorated, as described above. I've tried all the remedies without success. After reset/reboot the picture was ok for all of five minutes. 

Even odder because I have NOWTV running on a Samsung Smartframe TV in another part of the house and it's fine.

So this seems to be a NOWTV/Roku issue - gett it sorted! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have access to NowTV via a multiplicity of devices. 

Currently the four devices on the service are 

AppleTV

iPhone 7

Roku SS+ 

and 

The Now 4K box as supplied in the trial. 

I've just tried the service this afternoon, AppleTV iPhone7 and Roku SS+ were fine. The Now 4K box was exhibiting this behaviour which surprised me. 

By disconnecting NOWTV by stopping the stream and reverting to the homepage and then initiating a box restart this behaviour had stopped when I restarted the NOWTV app. I will monitor the situation over the coming week. 

It seems there IS an issue which needs thorough investigation. 

Mark70
Advocate

Had exactly the same response. 

told them I’d did all the recommendations in my first sentence, to be told to try all the recommendations! They are absolutely useless.