cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box - model 4500SK-UK - Loses connection

I mainly use the box to watch Grand Prix and for a few months now it keeps dropping the signal with the message "Internet Connect has been lost"

This happens randomly every few minutes or so which is extremely frustrating.
After about a minute it shows "Internet Connection has been restored"
I then have to press the Nowtv button and select the programme I wish to watch.

I never have connection problems with any other device (e.g. laptop, iPad).

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this issue?

It says it's on the latest s/w version - 11.0.3 build 4063
The router says the box is using the 5GHz speed.

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

iam getting same on my now stick live chat are trying to say its my broadband  my broadband is ok.

its started with new software update.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having changed the channels to 9 (2.4GHz) and 44 (5GHz) and watching the Test Match for hours it hasn't dropped out once.
The test will be this weekend when I watch the Grand Prix where it was dropping out every few minutes. Not that the Grand Prix should be the reason it drops out (should it?!).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

About three weeks ago, just before two weeks holiday, our Now Smart Box said it was not connected.  Live TV worked OK, but not Catchup.  We have a BT Hub6 upstairs with my Mac and an internet extender plugged in at the the back of the TV downstairs, which feeds the signal into the Now Box (wired).  It's worked fine for five years with one interruption earlier this year, which was solved via this very useful community chat.  I've tried updating, but it won't do it, as it says there's no connection.  I've repositioned the box and replugged all the connections, still no good.  The Internet works perfectly well on my Mac, my wife's PC and my iPad, so the connection is there.   And if live TV is OK, why not catch-up?  Any help, please?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you tried temporary switching to wifi on the NOW box (even if there is no wifi reception) then temporary disconnect the Ethernet cable between the NOW box and Ethernet mains adaptor, then reconnect the Ethernet cable at both ends, then go back into the NOW box Settings and swap back to a wired connection.

Worth a try if you haven't tried it already.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to reiterate - since changing the channels a month ago it has never dropped out. 😁

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks,

Ken

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Schnapps. I'll try that later and let you know.

Ken

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried changing from Ethernet to Wifi and back again, but it didn't work.  The Broadband extender in the socket has three green lights: Power, Ethernet and Data.  If I turn it of and on again, the lights come on in that order, but the Data one goes off after a few moments.  Is this a problem?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you got a television closer to your BT Hub Router, where you can test the NOW Box on over wifi ?

You don't have to connect a TV aerial into the back of the NOW box to see if it connects over the internet and the Apps and NOW TV streaming services work.

Other than that have you tried a full factory reset by turning over the NOW Freeview Smart box and holding in the reset button underneath the box for around 20 seconds.

If you go down the factory reset route you will have to set up the box again from scratch including inputting your existing NOW account details and a retune of the Freeview channels via the connected TV aerial.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have never used an Ethernet extender, but if the green data light is going off, then I am guessing there is an issue.

What does the Ethernet extender manual say if you still have it or go online to check? 

I am guessing a factory reset on the Ethernet extender if it has one didn't help ?

If you can try temporary bypass Ethernet and test the NOW box over wifi if you can temporary move the NOW box to another television in your home closer to the BT Hub Router where you know there is a wifi reception.