cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box - model 4500SK-UK - Loses connection

I mainly use the box to watch Grand Prix and for a few months now it keeps dropping the signal with the message "Internet Connect has been lost"

This happens randomly every few minutes or so which is extremely frustrating.
After about a minute it shows "Internet Connection has been restored"
I then have to press the Nowtv button and select the programme I wish to watch.

I never have connection problems with any other device (e.g. laptop, iPad).

Has anyone any idea what could be causing this issue?

It says it's on the latest s/w version - 11.0.3 build 4063
The router says the box is using the 5GHz speed.

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What happens if you try a different wifi channel on your Router or try the 2,4ghz wifi band ?

I am guessing using Ethernet is not an option ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Forget to say I have seen a few reports of this loss of internet connection with regards to the NOW box since a recent firmware update.

No problem my end using my NOW 4K smart box, but I am using the NOW box over Ethernet.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks schnapps, I'll give it a try and come back with the results.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've searched the router settings but can't find where I can change the channel.
It's probably staring me in the face but I can't see it!!
2.4 GHz is using Channel 1
5 GHz is using Channel 24.

It's a Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 06/12/21

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't own a Plusnet Router so i won't be able to help on this matter, where on my Router under the wifi settings section there is an option to uncheck the automatic channel feature and pick the wifi channel number you want to use.

I believe the Roku and NOW TV devices operates around the wifi range of 2.4ghz channels 1 to 13 and 5ghz channels 36 to 48.

If that doesn't help then perhaps try the basic trouble shooting steps in this linked guide below and the first step i would try is step 6 a forced software update (update the software even if on the same version number).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-box-stick 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again schnapps.

I thought it would be easy!
2.4 GHz is 1 to 13
5 GHx is 36 to 128 (every 4th one)

Currently 1 and 48 respectively.
Any recomendations what to set them at, 9 and 56?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you have a Android phone or tablet you can download the wifi Analyzer App from the Google Play Store which can see the wifi congestion in your home.

On my Roku Streaming Stick + that doesn't have Ethernet that i use on wifi where from memory i use 5ghz channel 36 and when on 2.4 ghz (depending on the room location i move the Stick around on different televisions in the house) i use some where between channel 6 to 10.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, thanks.
I don't have Android just an iPad.

I'll change the values and see if it makes any difference.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've changed the values to 9 and 44 respectively and so far after an hour it hasn't dropped the connection (famous last words!),  so that looks good.

I'll reply if it starts dropping the connection.