cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box NowTV App after Update

Hi,

My now Tv app has stopped working after last nights update. I can’t load the app, or any movie/entertainment channels. It only shows the loading screen with the four rotating dots until I crashes. All other apps work and the internet connection is excellent. I’ve tried every reboot including back to factory settings and I’ve done the remote thing (5xHome, 3xRewind, 2xFast forward).

Any other suggestions would be welcome, I mainly want to find out if anyone else is suffering with the issue?

Mike
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Not familiar with the Talk Talk Routers, where my ISP is BT.

I would still try powering off your router for say 20 minutes, just to see if there is any difference how the nowtv app performs (even though your other Apps on the box are working).

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Some Virgin Media customers have had success setting up a guest network on their Virgin Routers.

More info here how to setup a guest network (step 3) on the linked help guide below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Troubleshooting-steps-for-the-Roku-player

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Not sure if this will work when on the nowtv starting splash up screen, but try going into the box secret menu by pressing the Home button on the remote 5 times, then quickly followed by pressing the FF 3 times, then quickly press the RW 2 times.

If it does open the secret menu screen try a forced software update first (even if you are on the same software version) and if still no joy, open the secret menu screen again and try a full factory reset.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Schnapps,

Thanks for your suggestion,much appreciate your help. Unfortunately I've tried that a few times and its just not playong ball. I've a previous Nowtv box, not the smart one and it's working fine. Guess I'll use that until some sort of fix is forthcoming. THanks again for your help

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Hopefully other helpful members on here will offer you some other things to possibly try.

This is a long shot, but there is no harm giving it a go, underneath the bottom of the smart box is a small reset switch (I would firstly try holding it for say 30 secs to see if anything happens on screen, if no joy keep pressing it on & off for say about 5 times to see if anything happens).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I’m having exactly the same problem, can watch 

live Norma channels and bbc I player etc but the Now

tv ap doesn’t work nor any of the content, I am also 

with talk talk, faster fibre, have tried all the suggestions

as listed above without success, have tried live chat on

here and kee getting disconnected, I’m now pulling my hair out

and don’t know what to do next??? 😤

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again for your suggestion Schnapps I've tried the reset button  holding for around 30 seconds and no joy.

I'll try creating a guest network on Virgin tomorrow and see if that does the trick.

I'm viewing at this moment on the older Nowtv box and it's highly pixelated. Speedtesting my network using Ookla gives a speed of 80Mbps.

Tomorrows another day.

Thanks again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mines eaxactly the same and iam with talk talk fibre, i have done a full factory reset and its no different

Anonymous User
Not applicable

just an update, i have 2 smart boxes in the house, the newer one works ok,its the older smart box which i think is about 3 yrs old that wont work on the nowtv app

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

My smart box from the original hardware nowtv trial which I received in April / May 2016 is working fine via a hard wired Ethernet connection to my BT Home Hub Router with the latest firmware update version 8.0.3 build 4186~16.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if @Anonymous User who has also reported the problem is also on TalkTalk or with another ISP to see if there is a pattern merging here ?  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to ask are both your smart boxes connected to your TalkTalk Router over Ethernet or WiFi ?

If over WiFi are they both on the same Frequency band either on 2.4ghz or 5ghz  (if your Router supports dual band) ?