cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box HD Channels

I have just been reading about the new Now TV Smart box. It is advertised as "Get over 60 Freeview channels including 12 in glorious HD" I would like to know what channels are available in HD before I purchase. I have tried the "Contact Us" option but I keep being taken back to the same place with NO contact us options. Thank you for your assistance

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@herojan wrote:

@Anonymous User

The quality of the now tv channels are exactly the same as for the black box, i.e. 720p for catchup and SD otherwise.

The freeview channels are exactly as you would get on your TV as you get them through an aerial and a tuner in the smart box. So you either get SD and 1080i for HD.

Hi All,

I plan to buy a smart box and I can't find clear answer about the Freeview HD quality. I just had a chat with a support guy and he said that the video output will be 720p. Can somebody clearify it?

According its specs it can produce 1080p video output but the only video mode is 720p.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I plan to buy a smart box and I can't find clear answer about the Freeview HD quality. I just had a chat with a support guy and he said that the video output will be 720p. Can somebody clearify it?

According its specs it can produce 1080p video output but the only video mode is 720p.

Hi @Anonymous User,

Provided that the NOW TV 'smart' boxes 'Display Type' (HDMI video output) mode is set to 1080p, I can confirm the Freeview HD channels will be output at their native HD resolution.

Cheers 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User,

Provided that the NOW TV 'smart' boxes 'Display Type' (HDMI video output) mode is set to 1080p, I can confirm the Freeview HD channels will be output at their native HD resolution.

Cheers 

Finally I bought a smart box and I'm happy with the Freeview HD quality, it has the same detailed picture as my previously used tuner.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

ITV do things a little differently. Apart from the 'national' ITV 1 HD channel they also provide several large regional ITV 1 HD channels (ie: ITV 1 Wales, ITV 1 Granada, ITV 1 London, ITV 1 Anglia, ITV 1 Meridian, ITV 1 Central West, STV HD (Scotland) and UTV HD (Ulster).

Did not know that (I don't watch local ITV1 HD much).  I assumed BBC1 didn't offer local HD because of lack of capacity on transmitters or somesuch.

If ITV can do it, then I'm disappointed that the BBC don't.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

If ITV can do it, then I'm disappointed that the BBC don't.

It actual fact, both BBC and ITV offer around twenty 'local' standard-def channels each Smiley Surprised

If you had access to a DVB-S tuner and dish, you would be able to access them all 😉

Cheers

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

It actual fact, both BBC and ITV offer around twenty 'local' standard-def channels each Smiley Surprised

If you had access to a DVB-S tuner and dish, you would be able to access them all 😉

I'm referring to local channels in HD, not standard-def.  Specifically on Freeview.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

DarylM wrote: 

I'm referring to local channels in HD, not standard-def.  Specifically on Freeview.

You'd think the BBC would have found a way to slip-stream 'locally' produced content directly into the local transmitters HD multiplex. Which is currently every half hour for 4 mins during BBC Breakfast. 15 mins at 13:30, 30mins at 18:30 and 15mins at 22:30...

With regard to the regional ITV HD output, the last time I watched the news (which isn't local) via ITV Central West HD and ITV Granada HD it wasn't actually HD, it was 'up-scaled'. Which raises the question... How many local BBC or ITV studios are geared up for HD Smiley Surprised

As with all these things it comes down to money...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM more to do with satellite space/cost. ITV have an incentive in that they sell regional advertising and those companies want the right eyes on their products.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I know ITV have local HD channels on satellite.  But how about Freeview?

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

ITV do things a little differently. Apart from the 'national' ITV 1 HD channel they also provide several large regional ITV 1 HD channels (ie: ITV 1 Wales, ITV 1 Granada, ITV 1 London, ITV 1 Anglia, ITV 1 Meridian, ITV 1 Central West, STV HD (Scotland) and UTV HD (Ulster).

I am in the Anglia region and have been watching the local news via my Now TV Smart box (so by an aerial).  The standard-def ITV channel shows the Anglia news, but ITV HD shows Meridian.