cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box HD Channels

I have just been reading about the new Now TV Smart box. It is advertised as "Get over 60 Freeview channels including 12 in glorious HD" I would like to know what channels are available in HD before I purchase. I have tried the "Contact Us" option but I keep being taken back to the same place with NO contact us options. Thank you for your assistance

26 REPLIES 26
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

The Freeview channels are delivered to the smart Now TV box by connecting your aerial to it, so you can expect to receive the same range of channels that you currently get via any Freeview devices you have. You can see here for the full list, but it will be dependent on your location and aerial setup.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/channels

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Have a read of page 7 on this linked thread below.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/New-NOW-TV-Smart-Box/td-p/358526/page/7

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

It is advertised as "Get over 60 Freeview channels including 12 in glorious HD" I would like to know what channels are available in HD before I purchase.

Hi @Anonymous User,

Currently, the HD channels available via Freeview are: -

Entertainment: BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD, Channel 5 HD, BBC Four HD, Channel 4 +1 HD, 4seven HD

News: BBC News HD, Al Jazeera Eng HD, RT HD

Kids: CBBC HD, CBeebies HD

And there's also: QVC Beauty HD and QVC +1 HD

Cheers

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

It should be noted that, depending on region, local programming may not be available in HD.  So local news in BBC regions in England won't be available on BBC1HD.  But I think Scotland (and maybe Wales?) will get their local programming on BBC1HD.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

From my local transmitter Wenvo (South Wales) the BBC HD Wales local news transmission is still shown in SD. Smiley Sad 

However the majority of the BBC HD Wales local programmes are shown in HD (for some reason it's the local BBC Welsh News that is shown in SD).

BicBasher
Elite

@schnapps @DarylM  Worth noting that BBC One Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own HD versions on 101.  Reporting Scotland is defientely in HD as I've watched it on the iPlayer app in 720p live, but SD on catch-up.  Wales Today appears to be upscaled SD.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are the freeview channels 1080p or are they 720p?

also have they improve the video quality of the entertainment & cinema pass with the new box?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

However the majority of the BBC HD Wales local programmes are shown in HD (for some reason it's the local BBC Welsh News that is shown in SD).

None of the BBC 'local' channels are available in high-def, only the 'national' BBC One HD channels are (ie: BBC 1 England, BBC 1 Scotland, BBC 1 Wales and BBC 1 Northern Ireland).

ITV do things a little differently. Apart from the 'national' ITV 1 HD channel they also provide several large regional ITV 1 HD channels (ie: ITV 1 Wales, ITV 1 Granada, ITV 1 London, ITV 1 Anglia, ITV 1 Meridian, ITV 1 Central West, STV HD (Scotland) and UTV HD (Ulster).

Cheers

herojan
Expert

@Anonymous User

The quality of the now tv channels are exactly the same as for the black box, i.e. 720p for catchup and SD otherwise.

The freeview channels are exactly as you would get on your TV as you get them through an aerial and a tuner in the smart box. So you either get SD and 1080i for HD.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M