cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box - Freeview channels missing

I set up my box today and noticed in the Freeview section that BBC 1 and 2 are missing - the channels start with ITV. Scrolling through, I found BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD located after the Horror channel. 

Ideally I'd like to have BBC 1 and 2 at the top of the EPG. Better still I'd like my regional BBC 1 and BBC 2 HD at the top of the EPG. 

I can't see my local station or the non-HD versions listed anywhere in the channels found.

This box is replacing a BT YouView box which picked up the above missing channels.

Any ideas please?

146 REPLIES 146
@Anonymous User yes I have found that the smart box seems to have done a Freeview retune of its own accord and unnoticeably a couple of times (perhaps as part of a firmware or app update, not sure). Annoying!
An alternative solution to the problem would be for the software to offer an explicit choice of the precise transmitter that the aerial points to during the Freeview set up and retune processes.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor wrote:
An alternative solution to the problem would be for the software to offer an explicit choice of the precise transmitter that the aerial points to during the Freeview set up and retune processes.

This is why a 'manual tuning' feature is so important (which I gather the 'smart' box does not have - yet). Along with an option to disable 'auto tuning' 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm new to NowTV as my main source of TV, as I have just dropped VirginTV.
Is there a good history of updates and staff reading the forum and taking action?
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Is there a good history of updates and staff reading the forum and taking action?

Hi @Anonymous User,

Given the number of devices that you can access the NOW TV service on. I'd say yes Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Getting sick of the freeview side of the new box now.
Having to retune everyday as it seems to 'drift' to the weaker transmitter during the day some how.

I went into the 'secret' tuner menu, checked that bbc to channel 5 were on Pontop Pike transmitter, 100% full green bar.
Again today while watching BBC One the pixels started and no signal kept coming up.
I went back into the menu to find the box was picking up Bilsdale transmitter again. Grrr...

Will anything be done to solve this?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Are NowTV aware of this problem from the trails?

@Anonymous User  As per my earlier post in this thread on 9 Aug 11:04:

"During the smart box trial, I reported that my box did a tuning oddity, as described below (stop reading now if not interested in the details!!) but nothing was done to resolve this."

Yes it's annoying. I've had to re-tune a couple of times due to an "unexpected (auto?) re-tune of its own accord" but not as often as you seem to be needing to.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for replying @dr_necessitor.
What a shame nothing was done. It's a real pain now. I'm new to Freeview as I dropped VirginTV as the Smart Box gave me what I wanted.
Don't have any problems with my other TVs.

The picture on the Smart Box is brilliant and the apps I use are there all in one box.

When I look in the tuner menu the channels are tuned from a mixture of both transmitters. Yet I have no message to select one transmitter only.
The online chat people have no idea what I'm on about, they only seem to know about the apps.

😭
Anonymous User
Not applicable
@dr_necessitor can you recommend the tuner filter device you used please?