cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Weak Freeview Channels

I think NOW TV need to really look at this issue seriously now. People shouldn't have to buy filters or splitters to filter out secondary transmitters when a simple option to specify which transmitter you want to lock onto could be made available (or more accurately an option that reliably appears in such circumstances).

@Andy wrote:

I think NOW TV need to really look at this issue seriously now. People shouldn't have to buy filters or splitters to filter out secondary transmitters when a simple option to specify which transmitter you want to lock onto could be made available (or more accurately an option that reliably appears in such circumstances).

Agreed but I doubt it will happen. I flagged this issue during the beta trial. Nothing was done.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Agree, NowTV Technical Team need to investigate this further with a fixable solution if deemed to be an issue.

Where there does seem to be a few post under the smart box section on the community forum where new owners have experienced losing Freeview channels after the initial setup of the box, where they have to continually re scan the TV tuner on the box to get the channels back.

Thankfully, my smart box picks up two local transmitter stations when undertaking the automatic TV channel scan on first setup, where the box (touch wood) has been one hundred percent Rock Solid and never drifted to the second weaker TV transmitter available.

I can imagine this must be so frustrating for customers that keep losing a number of Freeview channels on their box and the need to continually re scan the channels or trying a half hearted fix which the customer have to do them themselves by experimenting with RF accessory components in an attempt to filter out / remove the weaker transmitter stations reception from the box.

Also, It a shame the smart box doesn't offer the customer the choice of both manual tuning together with the automatic option that you find on most Freeview based products. 

bbuzby
Advocate

I'm having to retune my box every 3 days, ridiculous in this day and age.

Tried the splitter thing, but that weakened the main signal as well.

Is there a better fix, or does it go back to Amazon?

0 Thanks
Kuto7
Mentor

A solution that works is to use a 'filter band-pass'. My transmitter is Emley Moor with an aerial group B, so I have this filter

To find your transmitter group, go here.

0 Thanks
jobbie8
Scholar

I've just had to retune mine this morning, for the first time since I put the slitter on. BBC ITV channels had drifted to the weeker transmitter 'Bilsdsle' and I had no HD channels at all.

I retuned with all channels coming back and on the correct transmitter 'pontop pike'.
It's a frustrating problem.
bbuzby
Advocate

Yes - It's going back.

It's a pity because it works well when it works
0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @jobbie8

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Are you still experiencing issues? Would you be able to explain a bit further what happens while you're using the Freeview channels?

We'll look into this further for you.

Thanks

Rob

NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
jobbie8
Scholar

@Anonymous User
Thanks for your reply.
When I turned the NowTV box on, from sleep mode, this morning, the channels were breaking up.
I knew from my experience with the box that during the night the box had 'drifted' onto the weaker transmitter in my area, Bilsdale.

The box should be tuned to Pontop Pike transmitter. Either when my box updates an app or maybe looks for an update or the box just loses its memory???
Do the Freeview channels get retuned when this happens?

This problem was daily before I added a splitter to try and reduce the weaker signal. But I've had to retune a couple of times in the last week.

I go into the tuner menu and can see the signal level is mostly at 19% and showing the weaker Bilsdale transmitter frequencies.
On Pontop Pike I get 100% on most channels.

I've had an engineer check my airel, all is fine.
There is no option for manual tune or to choose a transmitter when tuning in the freeview channels.
0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @jobbie8

Really sorry to hear about the troubles that you have had.

Let me speak to our tech teams regarding this as it shouldn't be happening like you and others have explained on this thread.

Once I get an answer I will come back to this post.

Cheers

Andy