cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box - Freeview channels missing

I set up my box today and noticed in the Freeview section that BBC 1 and 2 are missing - the channels start with ITV. Scrolling through, I found BBC 1 HD and BBC 2 HD located after the Horror channel. 

Ideally I'd like to have BBC 1 and 2 at the top of the EPG. Better still I'd like my regional BBC 1 and BBC 2 HD at the top of the EPG. 

I can't see my local station or the non-HD versions listed anywhere in the channels found.

This box is replacing a BT YouView box which picked up the above missing channels.

Any ideas please?

146 REPLIES 146
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Are you hooked-up to an out-door aerial or in-door aerial?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Outdoor aerial. But the picture keeps going off saying no signal. I rescanned the channels and no HD came back

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Normally the BBC one SD and BBC Two SD channels should be on the top of the EPG list.

I woulld try disconnecting the aerial then plug the aerial back again tightly into the aerial socket on the smart box, then i would try a rescan of the TV channels.

After the smart box finished the auto channel scan did it give you an option to choice a region, if so try a different region to see if that improves things.

If still no luck, i would try a factory reset and start from scratch, go to settings, system, advanced systems settings to carry out a factory reset.

One last question are you using a Y splitter or Distribution box on your smart box feeding our TV devices with an aerial, if so try testing the smart box with an aerial going directly into the smart box bypassing any Y splitter or Distribution boxes to see if you get the full compliment of TV channels in your area. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I did the scan, it completed, stated it had found 105 channels.

I was not given the choice of a region and I suspect this is the crux of the problem. I can't see how to select one in the menus.

The connection is direct from an external aerial. There are no splitters, boosters etc involved.

As I said, I think it's the region setting that is preventing the appearance of the channels in the correct order.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Have you tried a factory reset on the smart box and re scan the TV channels again from scratch, it might be worth a try.

Go to Settings > System > Advanced systems settings > Factory reset (before a factory reset make sure you know your wifi password and NowTV username & password).

When using your YouView box how many TV channels were you receiving ? 

After i did an automatic scan on my smart box i was given the option of two regional areas to choice from, saying that i have excellent reception from my roof aerial where i am lucky i can pick up two local TV transmitters where i receive  a total of 176 number TV / Radio channels .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I disconnected everything, made sure all the connections were nice and tight, then turned the box on, did a factory reset and set it up again.

This seems to have brought in the SD channels and placed them at the top of the EPG.

BBC 1 is a little ropey so I'll play around with the cables a little in case that's the cause.

I'm not terribly impressed with the box, I managed to get it to crash fairly easily by clicking too quickly. Obviously as a Sky user I have expectations that are far too high for this box.

Thanks for your help @schnapps & @SeeMoreDigital

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think you'll find the choice of region is done automatically according to the post code you entered when you initially registered the box.  If the post code is incorrect or unrecognised, this would prevent the regional selection being made.

As you have discovered, missing channels are usually caused by a weak signal (poor aerial or dodgy aerial connection).

The Freeview channels are listed in the order which corresponds to the channel numbering set up by Freeview, even though the numbers are not shown.  At present there is no way to rearrange the order of the channels on the Smart Box, so you would not be able to place the HD channels at the top of the list.  Very inconvenient, as it means we have to scroll right down the list to select the HD channels.  I hope this will be improved in a future firmware upgrade.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh, by the way ... as already mentioned elsewhere in the Forum, you can jump up and down the channel listing a page at a time by pressing the >> (FF) and << (RW) keys.

Smiley Happy

lenturn
Scholar 2

@Anonymous User wrote:
At present there is no way to rearrange the order of the channels on the Smart Box, so you would not be able to place the HD channels at the top of the list.  Very inconvenient, as it means we have to scroll right down the list to select the HD channels.  I hope this will be improved in a future firmware upgrade.

This is something that SHOULD be done. With no channel numbers and no way to quickly select what channel you want to watch, being able to move your favourite  channels into a list at the top of the EPG is a must imo.