Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oxfordmark
Mentor

Now TV - Best setup

Hi All

I want a Now TV box for my bedroom.

But ideally I want it to incorporate Freeview channels so all my TV channels and apps are in one place, rather than a mix of Now TV box and my Smart TV. I also want to be able to plug in a USB and record Freeview channels

Are there any boxes that do this?

7 REPLIES 7
oxfordmark
Mentor

To add, do any boxes offer watch lists across ALL apps in one place?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@oxfordmark 

The only device that provides a watch list across all its apps is Apple TV. 
@nst am I right in thinking that is the case?

However for "recording" the Freeview channels via a USB stick I also beleive that this is possible on Smart TVs. 

You must bear in mind that NOW no longer make or even sell their own devices. Most folk tend to go with Amazon Fire or Roku sticks. 

As you mentioned a box for your room, it really depends on how much your willing to spend. From my understanding (not personal experience) is that the Apple TV box provides a really slick and uncluttered UI with a unified watchlist which pulls from many apps your watching. 
If I wasn't super tight I would go for an Apple TV box, as I am already an iPhone and iPad user.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
nst
Elite

@gavs82008 I think so but im no longer certain.

AppleTV has been doing it for years, but like everything Google are not at all shy when it comes to copying a good idea...

... I thought I heard that Google Chromecasts now have copied the up next watchlist functionality but not being a Google fan im not sure if its an exact match.

RoyB
Legend

@oxfordmark 

Now once made a Smart box with Freeview. As you might expect for a device with no number buttons on its remote, it didn’t gain much traction 😛

But it did not record.

So recording will be a function of your TV.

Even if your TV had the Now app, you would still have to go in and out of it to switch between Now channels and Freeview channels.

You could look at switching your internet to BT, if you are not already with them, subscribing to BT TV, and they will lend you a BT Pro YouView box on which you will find the Sky/Now channels in the EPG, just like the Freeview channels, and you can record both the Freeview and the Sky/Now channels on the Pro box.

But for On Demand, you will need to use the Now app, and on the Pro box, Now doesn’t have subtitles, if that matters to you.

You could also consider Sky Stream, which I will let you research for yourself. It’s Sky over the internet, so no dish needed, and they ‘record’ a lot of stuff you can go back and watch on demand, but it’s not real you-get-to-choose recording.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
oxfordmark
Mentor

I am looking at a Roku Streaming stick, any good?

I looked at Sky Stream but was looking at £50 a month!

I have an iPhone and looked at the Apple TV app, the shows appear as shows rather than episodes of shows that i need to watch (if that makes sense).

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@oxfordmark wrote:

I am looking at a Roku Streaming stick, any good?

I looked at Sky Stream but was looking at £50 a month!

I have an iPhone and looked at the Apple TV app, the shows appear as shows rather than episodes of shows that i need to watch (if that makes sense).

Hi @oxfordmark 

Roku devices are actually the best option when using Now. As if you're going to get a Roku, I would suggest either the Roku express 4K or the Roku streaming stick 4K. If your budget can stretch far enough. I would suggest going for the top end device, which is the Roku streaming stick 4K.

The reason for this is that the Roku streaming stick 4K after a software update can support Wi-Fi routers that use 5 GHz Wi-Fi channels 49 to 64 and 100 to 140 older/Roku devices lower down the range don't have this capability and are limited to up to channel 48  Because Wi-Fi channels 49 to 64 and 100 to 140 are only supported after a software update, if you have a router that uses either channels 49 to 64 all channels 100 to 140 GHz Wi-Fi then the stick would likely have to connect to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi at first , and would then be able to connect to Wi-Fi that uses the above-mentioned channels afterwards.

For a bit more info, see the links below

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-1

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/a-quick-guide-to-5ghz-in-the-uk-part-2 

Roku devices quite regularly on offer on Amazon, so that would be the best pull the trigger, so was speak. If you are so inclined.

Don't be tempted to buy a Roku device from the likes of eBay on the cheap. Many of the Roku devices that you see on eBay are actually US imports. These run significantly different software to their UK counterparts and there is a possibility that now would not run on these devices. So make sure you're buying a Roku model that is officially sold in the UK

https://amzn.eu/d/hpuw4Sw

https://amzn.eu/d/5ZLRXAZ  

in relation to now specifically, there are a couple of things to consider that apply to Roku

• advanced subtitle support (you will be able to change the appearance of subtitles in the now app on Roku. From the Roku main menu by going to settings > subtitles Now app will then follow the majority of settings you choose from within this menu , with one of the notable exceptions being the subtitles on when available, switch. You will need to switch subtitles on from within the Now app itself)
  • auto adjust refresh rate/frame rate match (this feature is very important as UK content is 50Hz. This setting must be enabled manually on a Roku device by going to settings > system > advanced system settings > advanced display settings > auto adjust refresh rate)

I'm sure @RoyB @gavs82008 and @schnapps will also have advice for you

I hope this helps 😀  

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

@oxfordmark @commanda6 

I second the Roku Streaming Stick 4K.

I have a Streaming Stick+ and a couple of Express 4Ks which I am very pleased with for their clean interface and settings versatility. (All bought before the SS 4K came out, else that is what I would have bought).

Given there is no one device that will do all you want, this is the second best option to the Apple TV box; but you can get three of these for the price of one of those 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.