cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV 4K

So it looks like now tv 4K is no longer available (how annoying). 

does anyone know if they will be replacing this with another 4K device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, the Boost add-on pushes NowTV up from 720p to 1080p, and works on the NowTV app on LG. This means that only 75% of what you see on screen has to be invented by the LG TV, instead of 89% for the standard NowTV resolution.

And even on the boxes, you need the Boost to get above 720p.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. Sorry. ROKU! 😂

ive been doing a lot of research on TVs and have settled on the 55cxlb. I didn't realise they had Disney and Netflix built in! For reference my current tv is a Samsung LE46F86BDX (12 years old!)  Didn't even have smart TVs back then! 

however does the now app have the 1080 output? I'm willing to pay for boost if it does and that will eliminate the need for any box.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Many devices support the “Boost pass” for 1080p output.

This link will give you a rundown of what the boost pass is all about.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost

You’ll need any of these devices to enjoy all the features of NOW TV Boost:

• NOW TV Smart Stick
  • Any NOW TV Box
  • Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick
  • A supported Samsung TV
  • Sony TV (most models from 2016)
  • PS4
  • YouView (including TalkTalk & BT boxes)
  • LG Web OS TV (50fps not currently available)
  • Xbox One (50fps not currently available)
  • Chromecast Ultra or 3rd generation (note that 1st and 2nd generation Chromecast devices are not supported
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, the Boost add-on pushes NowTV up from 720p to 1080p, and works on the NowTV app on LG. This means that only 75% of what you see on screen has to be invented by the LG TV, instead of 89% for the standard NowTV resolution.

And even on the boxes, you need the Boost to get above 720p.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

I’ve got a LG CX48 which I kind of regret now as everywhere is selling the 55 inch model for like £200 less than I got my 48 for which is still priced at £1489 makes no sense to me how the bigger model is cheaper lol. 

They are great TVs indeed black levels are amazing. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Go to YouTube and under HDTVTest " why is the LG CX 48 dearer than the 55" equivalent model and the reason being it's the way they cut the OLED sheets and how many TV's they can cut from the standard size OLED sheet material.

If you are into TV's reviews Vincent on HDTVTest is always worth a watch on YouTube.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Ah fair enough didn’t know that still a bit annoying a TV that was £300 more expensive is now £200 less. Shocked if that is just down to how they cut but probably a big part. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Know what you mean, my friend bought a new 65inch LG CX10 OLED about 6 weeks ago and asked me to pop over his house to set it up, dial in the picture settings and talk him through how to use the television.

He paid £2300 and now the price is between £1700 to £1800.

I told him to wait until Black Friday when the prices will drop ,but he wanted the TV sooner.

I would love to own an OLED TV (especially a Panasonic) but i just can't afford them and they are way out of my budget 😡.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @Anonymous User 

You know guys

It's always difficult to gauge the price of modern electrical equipment, for example, the Smart TV I bought in the 4th July sale was originally £600.00 then fell to £450.00 in the sale.  However, now the price is continuing to fall and I feel the mild slap of wet eggs on my face.

Still, I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, using this beast of a device because everything I've attached to it works better than on my previous 32 incher. Plus, I've better facilities, better picture and generally just better everything (except waiting the extra second for the OS to kick in, which is no biggie).

The things is guys, do you enjoy what you've bought?  If you do then forget the money, it's gone and you can't take it with you, just enjoy.

Ha, just spilt vodka and cranberry down myself, but it's all good, I'm enjoying the bass.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Haha very true i will likely keep my CX for many years as it has HDMI 2.1 and EARC so therefore can just be a panel for me the PS5 [When I manage get one] and the Apple TV is what I use to stream. 

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy @gavs82008 

Also worth remembering that when NowTV started up, Roku had very little UK penetration, and their kit was both expensive and a generation behind what was available in the States. And it was no good importing a US box, as it wouldn’t have been localised for the UK.

So it was a very smart move for Sky to do the deal they did, at the time they did it.

But nowadays, Roku devices hit the UK pretty much when they hit the States, are competitively priced against all other (unsubsidised) streaming devices, and offer more than NowTV sticks do.

So it now makes sense for Sky/NowTV to concentrate on the one, subsidised, entry level Stick which does everything a NowTV customer needs*, and leave the wider market of other apps and 4K and so on to higher-priced Roku devices.

*Well, maybe not everything. For those who can’t get their heads round the Klein bottle outside-is-inside and inside-is-outside way there is apparently no NowTV app on the Sticks in the latest software release (except that there is), and all the other apps are apparently under NowTV (except that they aren’t), getting NowTV on a Roku Stick is a welcome return to sanity.