cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV 4K

So it looks like now tv 4K is no longer available (how annoying). 

does anyone know if they will be replacing this with another 4K device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, the Boost add-on pushes NowTV up from 720p to 1080p, and works on the NowTV app on LG. This means that only 75% of what you see on screen has to be invented by the LG TV, instead of 89% for the standard NowTV resolution.

And even on the boxes, you need the Boost to get above 720p.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Your guess is as good as mines, the Now TV sticks are really poor devices when compared to smart box and Roku devices.

What I find strange is why they need to supply their own device from Roku with a watered down app selection.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seems very strange not to offer 4K at all. Even for Netflix and iplayer etc. I've been a big fan of now tv. But with the new menu change and lack of 4K. I'm not too sure anymore. 

starman73
Elite

What I find strange is why they need to supply their own device from Roku with a watered down app selection

Either to stop you using Amazon Prime Video, Google Play and anything else Now TV deem as competition or so Roku can still sell their branded sticks/boxes as they have more channels.

In the same way, Amazon Fire does not have a Now TV app.

ukbobboy
Legend

@gavs82008 

Hi Gavs

You said, "What I find strange is why they need to supply their own device from Roku with a watered down app selection".

Well Gavs, thinking back to when I first got into Now TV and Internet TV, I found that the other available streaming boxes were very expensive, limited in features and unreliable.  However, the Now TV white box was cheap enough to take a punt on, only £10.00 at the time, reasonably flexible but with limited apps.

In May 2016, I purchased the new 2015 Now TV black box, priced at £12.00 (a Roku 3 clone). It was still cheap enough to take a chance on and a pleasure to use.

Now, as you can see, the Now TV streaming devices are cheap enough for a user to dip their toe into streaming without getting burnt. And, above all, allows users to gain enough experience of streaming devices so that they can decide to stay where they are or get a more expensive, fuller featured, device.

So, what I am saying is, for users new to streaming buying a Now TV device is an affordable chance to take. 

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So having used now tv for over 5 years would people say a Rocu 4K box is a good upgrade? 

circumstances are I have a 12 year old hd tv which has been slowly dying over the last two years. Have my eye on a LG 4K tv for Black Friday. Hence the move up from standard hd. 

i get that now won't broadcast in 4K but I'm ok with that as I want Netflix abs Disney in 4K mainly and don't want to pay ridiculous sky q costs. 

does this sound feasible through a rocu box? Eg now tv (with boost) at 1080 then Netflix and Disney at 4K?

Any advice?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

It’s Roku with a ‘k’, but yes, you are spot on, except maybe you want to at least consider the Roku 4K Stick as well as the box, before making your choice.

But we were looking at the LG 65GX in Curry’s yesterday, which we thought aced it over the comparable Samsung QLED (damn, as I do like the One Connect box), but maybe gave a little away to the comparable Sony. But on picture only, and only a smidgeon, and the Sony UI is not one I want to visit.

Though of course, remember that Disney and Netflix are available as 4K apps on these LG TVs anyway, as is NowTV, albeit that has to beg the LG upscaling to let it fill the screen.

So maybe you won’t need a Roku Stick at all....😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User  @gavs82008 

Hey Guys

Here's something that looks interesting, a Roku Stream Bar.  A combinations of a 4K streaming device and TV sound bar.

Roku Stream Bar.jpg

I don't know if this has been officially released in the UK or just a grey import, but I must admit it does tickle my fancy.

I'm guessing, something for the future.

UK Bob 

PS: Just found a UK review for this new device, dated 30th October 2020:

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/roku-streambar-uk-review/

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

The Roku Streambar is an official product which will be sold in the UK by authorized Retailers.

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/roku-introduces-the-roku-streambar-in-the-united-kingdom 

The BT Shop have 18 in stock on their website.

starman73
Elite

I would switch to a Roku but for the lack of the 30 minute buffer on live channels, particularly sport.

The Roku sound bar would be top of the list, especially if it had a line in.