cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Noisy and Hot

My smart box is whiring and is getting really hot!! Any suggestions??
3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The Smart Box does have an inbuilt fan which kicks in automatically to help cool down the box, which can run hot due to the electronic components inside. This shouldn't be excessively hot but the speed of the fan will increase if need be which can cause audible noise.

As an immediate remedy unplug the box for 10-15 mins to allow it to cool. Then make sure you are positioning the box so that it has plenty of space and ventilation around it, not in an enclosed cabinet or on a crowded shelf, and not on top of other electrical items. This should help the box keep cool and prevent the fan running at too high a speed.

If however you find the box is running very hot and the fan is very noisy regularly you might want to return to the retailer and ask for a replacement.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

The previous post in this thread has been removed as it violates one of our community house rules:

2.2m Advice that would or is likely to result in a breach of any Sky product or equipment warranties or abuse of NOW TV's service or content or circumvention of any of NOW TV's safeguards or digital rights management controls;

Our community house rules can be found here: https://watch.nowtv.com/terms 

@Anonymous User If you feel your box is overheating, please follow the advice in @Andy post. You may also want to try moving the box into a more open space if possible. 

Thanks, 

Karl

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy @Karl-F

Guys

I have a very simple solution for keeping (relatively) small electronic equipment cool, and I have been using this method for years, I buy a desk top fan, aim it at the equipment concerned and switch the fan on.

I have found that a continuous flow of air blowing across an electronic device keeps it cool, running at peak efficiency and prolongs it's life.  Right now I'm using a desk top fan to continuously blow air on my modem-router, keeping it cool at or below room temp., which also enables me to keep it running 24/7.

UK Bob