cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No subtitles on smart box

Used to be able to put subtitles on programmes (where available) however recently any time i select subtitles and then English in the menu they never appear, this is on every show i try to watch, the subtitles work on my iPhone app so I know they should be there, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you tried a forced software update on the box by pressing the Home button 5 times, quickly followed by pressing the FF button 3 times, quickly followed by pressing the RW button 2 times to bring up the hidden secret menu on screen ?

Update the software even if you are on the same version number.

If that doesn't work maybe try a full factory reset on the box, where you will find the factory reset option in the box menu settings.

Out of curiosity are you using the NowTV Freeview smart box or the newer 4K smart box.

I tested the subtitles out last night on my 4K smart box, will have to dig out my Freeview smart box to see if the subtitles menu appears on that box when i press the pause button on NowTV supported subtitles.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also should add captions are switched on to English in the settings.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I believe leaving subtitles permanently on under the captions option menu on the NowTV boxes and Stick was broken after a software update.

Looks like NowTV haven't fixed it yet, where there is a thread on the forum discussing it back in February.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/Making-Subtitles-Permanent/m-p/491026

@Jason-C of the NowTV Team would you care to comment when this will be fixed ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Now I’m thinking back that’s how it started having to turn them on again after each episode started, but now no subtitles appear at all, thanks for your reply and for tagging someone who can provide more info 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What happens if when the TV episode or movie starts playing you pause it and on the pop up screen display, move across to the bubble speach icon (last icon on the bottom right) and click on it where a subtitles menu appears, then highlight English and click OK on the remote.

I then get subtitles on my NowTV smart box, but every time i jump out of the TV episode or movie i have to engage subtitles again by following the above procedure which is a pain 😠.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Anonymous User
Not applicable

sorry sent the @schnapps on its own by mistake, that's what I've been doing, but they won't come up at all, so when I do as you've said when I go along to subtitles press english, the line never comes up underneath the subtitles like it used to, doesn't matter what I'm watching all the same. I will try attach a video.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll post a picture to show you what I mean IMG_20190525_100643.jpg

The line that used to appear underneath the subtitles symbol doesn't anymore. I've tried it while playing and paused, when I click the info button the line appears and it's highlightedIMG_20190525_101334.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you tried a forced software update on the box by pressing the Home button 5 times, quickly followed by pressing the FF button 3 times, quickly followed by pressing the RW button 2 times to bring up the hidden secret menu on screen ?

Update the software even if you are on the same version number.

If that doesn't work maybe try a full factory reset on the box, where you will find the factory reset option in the box menu settings.

Out of curiosity are you using the NowTV Freeview smart box or the newer 4K smart box.

I tested the subtitles out last night on my 4K smart box, will have to dig out my Freeview smart box to see if the subtitles menu appears on that box when i press the pause button on NowTV supported subtitles.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had already forced the update before you suggested it, however i hadn't tried a factory reset, I've now done the factory reset but still no subtitles, sorry should have said, I'm using the freeview box, thanks again for trying too help, it's appreciated.