cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New TV wont recognise now tv box

Hi I had a laurus tv delivered and set it up with all the cables and the ariel was in the back of the now tv box as per usual. When I went to the do the first instillation on the TV it could not find any tv channels. I checked the now tv box and the now tv channels and all the package stuff is working but the freeview channels are not.
I've rebooted the box and tried a different hdmi cable but to no avail.
Also worth pointing out that if I unplug the now tv box and put the ariel directly into the back of the tv it scans and finds all my usual channels with no problem.
Please help it's driving my husband crazy and in turn he's doing my head in lol
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User you need to plug an aerial cable into BOTH the TV and the Now TV Smart Box. Since the Now TV doesn't have a TV out socket, you'll need to fit a splitter, so you will most likely need two extra aerial cables as well as the splitter (Amazon, for example can supply them cheaply). 

Just plugging the cable into the box will not enable the tv to get any Freeview channels - and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User you need to plug an aerial cable into BOTH the TV and the Now TV Smart Box. Since the Now TV doesn't have a TV out socket, you'll need to fit a splitter, so you will most likely need two extra aerial cables as well as the splitter (Amazon, for example can supply them cheaply). 

Just plugging the cable into the box will not enable the tv to get any Freeview channels - and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Given you have a new TV with an in-built Freeview tuner, is there any particular reason why feel you need to use the Freeview tuner in the NOW TV 'smart' box as well?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok thanks I'll try that
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No just that it's driving my husband crazy having to plug the now tv box back in everytime he wants to swap from freeview to now tv channels cos if the now tv box is on the picture on the tvs built in freeview pixaltes
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Eh?

The NOW TV box is connected to your TV via an HDMI lead and its channels are streamed over the internet. The Freeview TV channels can be accessed directly by your television using its own in-built Freeview tuner.

You don't actually need to use the Freview tuner in the NOW TV box. Unless you have a specific reason to do-so!

EDIT: I currently have my NOW TV 'smart' box connected to a Panasonic Freeview HD television. And I don't use the NOW TV 'smart' boxes Freeview tuner 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok basically on my lg smart tv (old tv) i had the ariel plugged into the now tv box and then the box connected to the tv via hdmi as you said. This has worked fine since Dec 2016 when I first signed up. However with this new TV (laurus 4k) the now tv must be completely unplugged in order for the tvs built in freeview to work properly ie the picture sticks and pixelates (the picture breaks up). So if for instance we are watching channel 5 and want to watch fox we have to go to the tv, plug in the now tv box, wait for it to warm up and then change the input to hdmi1. Then when we want to watch freeview again we have to unplug the now tv box again, and change inputs once again.
If this is the way it is that's fine (a pain in the whatsit but fine) but my hubby is going crazy thinking he's doing something wrong during the set up process. He's going to split the ariel as pp suggested tomorrow
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

You should not have to unplug the NOW TV 'smart' box from your new TV... You are getting interference from something. It could be a poorly insulated or twisted HDMI lead. A poorly insulated coaxial cable. WiFi interference... Anything really. Even a faulty with your new TV Smiley Surprised

Check and re-check all your cables/leads!