cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Smart box noisy and hot

Just bought the new smart box and it's making a high pitched noise and the box is very hot to the touch.
Is this a faulty box or just the way it is?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Nothing to be worried about.

Because the smart box has a quad core processor and an inbuilt Freeview tuner the box runs hotter than the standard nowtv box and hence the reason for the inbuilt fan.

Both my smart box and YouView box runs at a similar hot temperature and are about the same with regards to fan noise. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Nothing to be worried about.

Because the smart box has a quad core processor and an inbuilt Freeview tuner the box runs hotter than the standard nowtv box and hence the reason for the inbuilt fan.

Both my smart box and YouView box runs at a similar hot temperature and are about the same with regards to fan noise. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply @schnapps
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Yes it does seem normal for the box to be very loud on the fan noise initially but that seems to lower itself over use, mine sounded like a jet plane taking off when we 1st got it and now it's only occasionally mildly boosting the fan. To keep it as quiet as possible I suggest you place it in an area with plenty of ventilation and away from other heat sources such as radiators if possible.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Also during the summer months when your room ambient temperature is usually warmer (unless you have Air Con in the room), you will find that the inbuilt fan will work much harder than during the winter months when normally your room temperature will be a few degrees lower.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good god what a noise, got two smart boxes, newest one for the bedroom Is so loud I can't keep it in the room! Odd that the other older one is quieter?????

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Good god what a noise, got two smart boxes, newest one for the bedroom Is so loud I can't keep it in the room! Odd that the other older one is quieter?????

Really... I can't hear my 'smart' box at all!

As it will still be under warranty I suggest you take it back and ask for a replacement.

Cheers

Geluk
Expert 2

Adding some felt or cork pads underneath will help stop noise resonating on furniture it's placed on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well it was an eBay purchase so not much chance of sending it back! But seriously it's so noisy, like a small drone flying around the room, now that I've swapped it between rooms it's a lot better as it's easier to hide the noise with 5.1 in the living room. 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Well it was an eBay purchase so not much chance of sending it back! 

In that case, why not peel back the rubber corners from the bottom of the box, remove the screws and "open that sucker up". You might find a creepy-crawly in there 😉

Cheers