cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Smart box noisy and hot

Just bought the new smart box and it's making a high pitched noise and the box is very hot to the touch.
Is this a faulty box or just the way it is?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Nothing to be worried about.

Because the smart box has a quad core processor and an inbuilt Freeview tuner the box runs hotter than the standard nowtv box and hence the reason for the inbuilt fan.

Both my smart box and YouView box runs at a similar hot temperature and are about the same with regards to fan noise. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was thinking of doing that, today it's 10 degrees and the sun in shining, I can hear it from the kitchen!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Peeled it open, added additional thermal paste.

still screaming!

Next step drill 100's of additional ventilation holes or fit a better 

Passive heatsink.

Extreme i know considering its cheap cost but good god it's so bloody loud!!!!!

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

still screaming!

Passive heatsink.

Extreme is right, seesm to be a faulty box tbh @Anonymous User I'd recommend this http://www.ebuyer.com/744373-corsair-hydro-series-h100i-v2-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060025-ww?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAjwu4_JBRDpgs2RwsCbt1MSJABOY8an2ilVxk0CyEh29DQkDA5G93xHS2vdwZUhfl9PkNNZDBoCHBbw_wcB

Could be the very first 'Unofficial' Custom NOW TV Smart Box. RGB Lighting and everything. 

Nah, i saw that you got it on ebay. Perhaps the seller knew the craic with the box before they sold it. Was it a reputable seller? Maybe ask them a quesiton regarding returns and see what happens. Although, tearing it open sounds alot more fun tbh.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ha ha, fun to play with, water cooling is a bit more extream than I'm planing on!

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

still screaming!

Passive heatsink.

Extreme is right, seesm to be a faulty box tbh @Anonymous User I'd recommend this http://www.ebuyer.com/744373-corsair-hydro-series-h100i-v2-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060025-ww?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKEAjwu4_JBRDpgs2RwsCbt1MSJABOY8an2ilVxk0CyEh29DQkDA5G93xHS2vdwZUhfl9PkNNZDBoCHBbw_wcB

Could be the very first 'Unofficial' Custom NOW TV Smart Box. RGB Lighting and everything. 

Nah, i saw that you got it on ebay. Perhaps the seller knew the craic with the box before they sold it. Was it a reputable seller? Maybe ask them a quesiton regarding returns and see what happens. Although, tearing it open sounds alot more fun tbh.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I give to quiet box v1.

so far it’s quiet and hasn’t told me it’s getting too hot!

CF5260D1-18B3-436D-B50F-AE914FC33881.jpeg18172F5E-29F7-4750-9CFB-7AEB5CFDE70C.jpegB9C4ED5E-6AAC-492A-AF0B-6B9AC9E0A2EF.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Edit.

it got too hot after few more hours.

v2 in progress lol.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mine too ! So noisy just got worse and worse, so in the end I stopped in down and replaced the cheap noisy fan with one I bought for £6 from a site for making PC's quiet it's a 40mm by 8mm two pin fan 

My smart box is now silent and cooler !

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anyone having an issue with the smartbox making a load humming noise? If i take the powercable out and put back in the noise stops but returns again in a few minutes. The box itself is only 6 months old.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If it's the Smart NOW TV Box you have, then due to the built in tuner and extra processing power it has a built in fan which will kick in when needed and adjust speed if necessary so given the hot weather we are having that might explain the noise. You could try moving the box slightly to see if that helps, out of direct sunlight, plenty of space around it, not tucked away under a TV or inside a cabinet etc. You could also try raising it slightly to allow airflow underneath.

Geluk
Expert 2

Also place sticky felt or cork pads in each corner to isolate from

surface its sitting on.