cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Smart Black bix

Just set up my new black box but it is making an annoying buzzing noise. I gave very good hearing and it’s all I can hear even when watching a programme. It sounds like a cd playing or an old video tape playing. Does it make thus sound or does it have a fault? My old white box never made a noise.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah, it's the inbuilt fan that's making the whirring noise due to the additional heat generated from the more powerful quad core processor and inbuilt tuner compared to the old white box that doesn't have the fan.

The fan should vary in speed depending on the electronic temperature build up inside the box.

My YouView box makes a similar sound and works at around the same warm surface temperature of the smart box.

Just make sure the box is well ventilated with space around all sides and top of the smart box. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah, it's the inbuilt fan that's making the whirring noise due to the additional heat generated from the more powerful quad core processor and inbuilt tuner compared to the old white box that doesn't have the fan.

The fan should vary in speed depending on the electronic temperature build up inside the box.

My YouView box makes a similar sound and works at around the same warm surface temperature of the smart box.

Just make sure the box is well ventilated with space around all sides and top of the smart box. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I usually leave it switched on all the time even when the tv is off but I’m going to have to switch it off. I suppose I’ll get used to it.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

With my smart box, once it loses the HDMI signal (ie switching from the smart box to another HDMI source or watching something else on my TV) after about 2 to 3 minutes the purple light on the front of the smart box will start flashing then the purple light will disappear and the smart box should go into deep sleep hibernation mode where eventually once the box internal temperature reaches a pre determined point the fan should cut out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. I’ll see what it does today. Did think last night it was quite hot.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disappointed though. I’ve had issues since June with my white box that Now Tv couldn’t resolve. The problems were with ITV All 4 and BBCi which I am well aware are third party licences but they told me buyOMG a new box would help but it had t. First time tonight watching ITV and it’s freezing all the time.