cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Nowtv box 4k problem with match refresh rate setting.

I am having an issue with the new Nowtv box (the 4k pink writing one) where if I set the "match refresh rate" setting in "advanced video settings" to on it works for a short while and the goes to a weird split double screen and the colours go mainly green, is anyone else having this issue? I'm not sure if it is the box or my TV however I don't have the problem with any of my other devices connected. (My TV is a Sony X8509C with an Xbox one S, Apple TV4k and a Virgin V3 4k box connected).

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

With my smart 4K box using the Auto refresh rate i use the Auto mode in the Display settings and it works really well for me on my Panasonic 4K TV apart from the screen goes temporary blank for a split second which you would expect anyway when the TV screen refreshes to the native rate that the content was broadcasted or filmed at.

I am not familiar with Sony 4K TV's but i am sure that only two HDMI ports are full 4K 60Hz and i believe you need to go into the TV's menu settings to enable this by changing HDMI to enhanced mode or something similar.

Also perhaps try a different HDMI hi speed cable that is HDMI profile 2.0 certified and see if a full factory reset on the smart box makes any difference.

If you are using a HDMI 4K Hub switcher, then plug the nowtv smart 4K box directly to one of your full fat HDMI ports on your TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I didn't mention what I have already done to try and fix the issue, I have the enhanced mode set to the hdmi input I am using for the box (4k HDR bt2020 and 4:4:4 chroma are all available when using my Appletv 4k through this input) and I also have a new Kramer hdmi 2.0 certified cable that I am using to connect the box. Also what I failed to say is that the issue only exist on the menus, If I play any video stream it corrects itself (after the screen refreshes and goes blank for a split second) but comes back after the refresh back to the menu (by pressing the home button). Hopefully I have explained this better this time!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

What happens if you change the Chroma setting on your TV (if you have an option) from 4.4.4 to either 4.2.0 or 4.2.2  ?

Maybe, that why it's effecting the menu display layout of the nowtv box ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think the chroma part happens automatically when the tv recognises the source, there are no settings in the tv menu but it will work if the output is set to this, another thing I should mention is that this does'nt happen straight away but once it has, the box needs a restart to fix the issue (or the refresh setting needs to be turned off). 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Don't know what else to suggest to be honest apart from in the nowtv box advanced settings see if changing the HDR sub sampling makes any difference, use the pink ended HDMI cable that came supplied with the box or see if a forced software update by pressing the Home button 5 times on the remote, then quickly press the FF 3 times, then RW 2 times to bring up a secret menu and force an update on the box.

I thought 4.4.4 Chroma was mainly used when using PC's on your TV, so see if there is an option somewhere on your TV to change from PC to Video and see if RGB range is set to limted rather than full.

Apart from that try a full factory reset on the nowtv box or if still no joy i would be tempted to swap it for a new replacement under warranty to see if it still happens on a new box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your time, I will try what you suggested, hopefully it is just a blip in the software on my box. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Keep us updated, i for one will be interested to see if you resolve it somehow.

It's a shame you haven't got a second 4K TV in the house, just to temporary test the nowtv box on another television to see if the auto frame rate refresh symptoms persists on a different TV.

Then this would give you a good idea where the issue lies and where you need to focus your attention on.