cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NOW TV Smart Box - a bit too hot?

So I decided to take the plunge and treat myself to the new Now TV Smart box (couldn't find just the box so had to go with the 5 months entertainment pack. My main issue is that after say 2 hours of use, the box feels pretty warm to touch. Is this normal? I'm probably been paranoid but would appreciate some thoughts. I have switched it off to cool down now just in case 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Don't worry about it, this issue was looked into during the trial and it's perfectly safeSmiley Happy

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

My smart box runs no warmer or cooler than my YouView box, i would say the surface temperature of the boxes is about the same.

Though both boxes due run quite hot, they both have inbuilt fans that should keep the boxes to operate within its working temperature parameters.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Don't worry about it, this issue was looked into during the trial and it's perfectly safeSmiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks - probably me being paranoid 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No not at all, I still think my Chromecast dongle gets way too hot so I turn everything off at the mains at night!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

yes, My box. overheats the fan is going wilds and making a noise. and the top seems to have sunk in. 

mark_suff
Expert

@Anonymous User As @Anonymous User said this was discussed at length during the trial and isn't a problem, my Freesat box gets roughly as warm as this box. If you're worried about it you can always turn it off overnight as I do. Although when you're not using it and it goes into standby it'll cool down pretty quick. If you listen in a quiet room you'll hear the fan, which adjusts it's level to keep box within safe temperature.

Mark. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a shame that secret screen no longer shows temperature but I can see why fan menu was removed.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Even without the facility to change the fan speed, it would be useful to know both the internal temperature and fan speed. For example, if the box is running very hot and the fan speed shows as 0 then you can be fairly certain that the fan has failed and if still under warranty you could get a replacement. 

Perhaps the developers could put that info on the 'about' screen?

Legend 5
Legend 5

If you can touch the casing the box is not too hot.  Have a look at your boiler and water temperature (probably set at 55c-60c)  A non scientific test will show the box casing feels lower than the water coming out of your hot tap.......

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.