cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NOW TV 4K boxes

The new box is a "4K" one but apparently the resolution of NOW TV content is still only up to 720p.  So what content is actually 4K on the new box?  (I assume Netflix?)

Does anyone know?

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @crashcris

Only watched the first 5 minutes to be honest of the Dynasties episode 1.1 in UHD on the BBC iPlayer App on my NowTV 4K smart box just to test it out (where i am not really into Nature Documentaries).

The NowTV Smart 4K box does say playing in UHD when watching the first  5 mins of the episode and the PQ did look really good.

So i would yes the NowTV 4K smart box will play this TV series in UHD if you have a 4K TV connected to the NowTV 4K smart box.

I know @commanda6 also has a NowTV 4K smart box and a shiny new LG 4K television, perhaps he can confirm the above and also confirm the HDR / HLG side of this on his new LG television when using the 4K NowTV smart box with the BBC iPlayer App when watching the Dynasties TV series. 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @crashcris

Only watched the first 5 minutes to be honest of the Dynasties episode 1.1 in UHD on the BBC iPlayer App on my NowTV 4K smart box just to test it out (where i am not really into Nature Documentaries).

The NowTV Smart 4K box does say playing in UHD when watching the first  5 mins of the episode and the PQ did look really good.

So i would yes the NowTV 4K smart box will play this TV series in UHD if you have a 4K TV connected to the NowTV 4K smart box.

I know @commanda6 also has a NowTV 4K smart box and a shiny new LG 4K television, perhaps he can confirm the above and also confirm the HDR / HLG side of this on his new LG television when using the 4K NowTV smart box with the BBC iPlayer App when watching the Dynasties TV series. 

Hi @crashcris @schnapps

The NowTV smart box 4K does indeed play dynasties in 4K with HDR. Interestingly enough, because of what appears to be a bug in the current build of iPlayer on my TV. HDR doesn't work when playing dynasties through the iPlayer app on the TV, but does work when playing it through the smart box 4K. 

But at least that means I know there is nothing wrong with the TV itself. Because the smart box 4K is connected to the TV I have reported it to the BBC, so we will see what happens

LG TVs will actually tell you when HDR content is being output. They will also tell you the type of HDR content that is being played. It tells you through a small pop-up that appears on the top right hand side of the screen. This pop-up only appears for a few seconds.

The smart box 4K supports both HDR 10 and HLG HDR

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
crashcris
Scholar

@schnapps@commanda6. Thank you both so much. I'd spent a lot of this afternoon getting nowhere searching for the answer to my question but you two have been brilliant. Unfortunatly, I have a Samsung JS8000 which doesn't do HLG so I won't benifit from the HDR but I'm so looking forward to the UHD. Many thanks again for your responses. Cris.