cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NOW TV 4K boxes

The new box is a "4K" one but apparently the resolution of NOW TV content is still only up to 720p.  So what content is actually 4K on the new box?  (I assume Netflix?)

Does anyone know?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shame all the Now TV content is 720p and stereo only. What they have released is a new box with Netflix in 4k (No idea about sound), and taken the freeview out. My TV has a Netflix button and shows 4K and Dolby Digital 5.1 so what's the point? That's it. Pointless release , nothing more to see here..... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly... this box seems pointless...  and what is it with Now TV and the 720p resolution, its's not 2007 anymore!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is desgined to show the 4K content in apps like Netflix/YouTube etc bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, you would think they would concentrate on getting thier own output up to at least 1080p before worrying about 4K and HDR from other providers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree... and also who would buy the new expensive box just to get Netflix! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, was watcning live stream football yesterday 26.9.2018 on a nowtv smart box. i had reset the box and then re-registered the box with nowtv. the picture was better than before no blur watchable. now still not up the the slandard of sky tv box which i have. i have the new 4k smart box on order on its way. will do a post on the picture from that box when arrived and set up. sky live chat person was very polite and helpful in getting the old smart tv box up and running. nowtv know to stay in the game to keep customers and happy they will have to up the bitrate. its a new company that own sky and nowtv so aleady the result a new 4k nowtv box out with netflix so will get rid of my firetv box. nowtv communicated with me saying they are aware of the lowbitrate and the did say bitrate will improve by christmas  . makes sensense holiday season. we shal see.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would recommend that people who want a 4K ready device purchase a Roku Stick instead that has many more streaming services available including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video for a bit more money, the only difference is not having the Sky Sports News Application. As Roku makes devices for Now TV, it already has Now TV included! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, just received the 4k smart box first off the new box is responsive fast. now the picture on bbc iplay is good. live tv picture slightly better than the old nowtv smart box, but same problem lowbitrate. now thats  what it comes down too higher bitrate needed by nowtv people. also comcast now own nowtv and skytv. the new 4k box i have you cant put your tv ariel into it no socket for that. now we will have to see what comcast plans are as to when they will up the bitrate. also it depends what bitrate the live stream channels are using older content the picure would be lower quality anyway tv quality comparison was done sde by side with a sky tv box which as expected won. so nowtv people did say the bitrate would be higher by christmas we shall see.. at the moment honest oppinion nowtv picture quality not good enough even with the new 4k nowtv box. my tv is a 4k smart tv. so its down to comcast to sort out the higher bitrate needed for now tv.

crashcris
Scholar

Hi. could you tell me if it supports the BBC 4k UHD iplayer? Have you watched the David Attenborough series Dynasties in 4k on it? Many thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think there's no full HD (1080) or 4K/UHD on any Now TV device or platform.  You'll need the traditional Sky service for that, for now at least.