cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV 4K Box replacement smart remote

My smart remote control started to eat batteries increasingly faster over time, and I recently noticed a small buzz when placing my ear next to the remote and pressing a button.

Last night my remote stopped working altogether, so I went on ebay and brought a replacement smart remote that's identical to mine in all but colour. The remote replacement is from the new smart stick, it has all the same buttons as mine including voice control, volume, but the buttons are yellow instead of purple. 

After buying the remote I noticed in the sellers description he claims the remote will not work with NowTV boxes, and it will only with the NowTV Sticks?

Can anyone one confirm this to be the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Good news i have just done a fresh repairing between my 4K smart box and yellow coloured smart remote from the stick and all buttons including voice search seems to work fine.

Like i said i can't factory reset the 4K box to see if the stick remote will work but my gut feeling it will or had time to setup the TV on/off and volume buttons on the stick remote but again my gut feeling it should work.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

Well, @Anonymous User I doubt that the yellow button remote will work a box. The boxes use ir but the stick only uses radio frequencies. Although there is a window on the front of the yellow remote, it is only for use when controlling the tv. 

I might well be talking out of my hat, of course. However, no harm in trying to sync the remote with the box using the sync button in the battery compartment. Just don’t get your hopes up. If it doesn’t work, see if you can return it for a refund.

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User If all else fails, the Roku app on your smartphone/ipad will work.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have the 4K nowTV Smart box and my remote is also starting to eat through batteries where i need to replace the batteries with new ones every two weeks (not got the buzzing yet).

i can also confirm that my NowTV smart stick remote (the yellow coloured version works on my 4K NowTV box).

The only thing i haven't really tested with the NowTV Stick remote controller on my 4K box is setting up the 4K box from a full factory reset (can't test it at the moment because i am on a NowTV software trial and would lose the trial software off my 4K box).

Though i would see no reason why the Stick smart remote controller would also work on setting up the 4K box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if it's because i am on a software trial or the Stick smart remote controller is not fully functional with the 4K box, but i have just had another play around with the Stick remote with my 4K box and found the following buttons didn't work.

Voice search button

My TV button

TV Guide button

Kids button

Haven't set up the smart remote with my Panasonic TV so again i don't know if the TV standby button and volume buttons work.

The Home, back button, directional key buttons, OK button, star button, Play, Fast Forward, Rewind button and Sky Store button works.

Give me a couple of hours and a will do some further testing.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Good news i have just done a fresh repairing between my 4K smart box and yellow coloured smart remote from the stick and all buttons including voice search seems to work fine.

Like i said i can't factory reset the 4K box to see if the stick remote will work but my gut feeling it will or had time to setup the TV on/off and volume buttons on the stick remote but again my gut feeling it should work.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Some more good news after going into the stick settings and playing around with the TV remote codes on my Panasonic TV i managed to get the on /off standby and volume adjust buttons to also work off the yellow stick smart remote controller.

So the only thing now that i am not one hundred percent certain on is the initial factory setup if you ever need to factory reset the 4K nowtv box, but without testing my gut feeling it should work.

I am also going to keep using the yellow stick smart remote on my 4K box in the next few weeks to see if this remote also eats through batteries every two weeks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It seems the smart remotes that have voice control as mine does are cross compatible with the stick and 4K box as long as it has voice control. I'm guessing voice control wouldn't work over IR. 

It seems both devices pair over wireless and only use IR for direct TV control.

On the trouble shooting page it claims the remotes pair over your wireless network, but my remote always worked with my routers WiFi disabled. They must connect direct to the Boxes wireless receiver. 

chai
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

I've been using an original smart stick remote (the one with gray directional button) successfully with my 4K box for yonks, because I'm repulsed by the pink button on the 4K remote. 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got the replacement remote today and although I had to use the Roku apps remote to turn the box on, as soon as I pressed sync it immediately started working and is fully functional, it even restored my IR settings for TV volume and standby (must be stored on the boxes memory)

The new remote doesn't have an internal buzzing sound when pressing down a button like my original remote.

I found out that while Now TV sticks only support RF remotes, any compatible boxes that support the RF remote and come with one included, will also still work with IR remotes as the boxes still have an IR receiver.  If the battery life of my new remote is still terrible, I think i'll get an IR remote instead, it wont support voice search but I hardly use it anyway.