cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Line of sight - remote

Can one use an infrared extenstion cable from the box using the usb port?

9 REPLIES 9
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

X

I would have to say no because the USB ports on the Now TV boxes have been disabled.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I don't believe so, where the USB port from what i am aware of is disabled.

I am guessing you want to hide the box out of sight, where if you own a mobile or tablet device you could download the free Roku remote controller App from the device App Store which controls the NowTV box over WiFI.

If you own the NowTV smart box you will also need to use a WOL App on your device to initially switch on the smart box from hibernation mode, where the std white or black nowtv box doesn't need the WOL function to start the box up.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

X

Just a thought, if Schnapps is right when he said, "I am guessing you want to hide the box out of sight", I just hope that you are not planning to put your Now TV Combo or box in a cupboard because these devices, like all electrical equipment, require air circulation to work properly.

Unfortunately, it's something that people tend to forget.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The tv is on the wall but covers a small alcove so plenty of air movement, shame the usb is defunk. Oh well ...

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Would imagine you could plug an IR extender into the TV's USB socket. IR extenders don't need to be plugged into the device they are controlling, any device that will provide necessary power will do.

ukbobboy
Legend

Post Cancelled.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Having had a quick play, the USB port on the Smart Box does provide enough power to charge an iPod so you should be fine to power an IR extender. But it doesn't provide power once it's in standby, so using a USB port on your TV would be preferable, otherwise you'd need to point the remote directly at the box to wake up initially.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, the IR extender doesnt need to be connected to the Nowtv box to change channels on the Nowtv box but would work connected to the USB on the TV? Seems odd?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I'm not sure what gadget you had in mind when you refer to an IR extender.

I'm assuming by IR extender you are referring to the gadgets that have an IR receiver at one end to pick up IR signals from a remote which are then retransmitted by an IR transmitter at the other end and have a USB cable for power. On such gadgets the USB cable can be plugged into anything that will provide power to the unit - those gadgets don't control other devices through the USB connection but merely rebroadcast IR signals via the IR transmitter.

If you're thinking of something like the dedicated 'magic eye' senders with component connections that you used to get then those are specific to certain devices and wouldn't work with the NOW TV box (but I'm pretty sure they didn't use USB anyway).