cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just got the new Now TV Smart Box

Everything seems great so far, currently using the Entertainment Pass. Trouble is, the box basically reboots itself every 5 minutes while I'm watching something. The screen will just freeze, then it'll take between 5 and 120 seconds to come back on. At this point, I have to go back into my channel guide and select the show again. This has happened 5/6 times in the last half an hour. I've tried rebooting it, and my broadband speed is over 20MB so that shouldn't be a problem. Anybody got any ideas, or has anyone had similar issues?
14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Does the box crash only whilst watching the NowTV and third party apps content over the internet ?

What happens when you watch the Freeview TV channels, does the smart box also crash ?

Have you tried a reboot on your smart box and your router ?

Also see if there is a software update available on the box, go into the box settings menu, press systems, then select System update, then click on check now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've updated the software, rebooted the box and router, and I've not bothered installing the Freeview channels yet. It crashed watching Sky Atlantic and Fox. I haven't tried the apps yet either. It seems like it powers off randomly, then just turns itself back on after 30 seconds or so. Any idea what it could be?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Suppose you could try a hard factory reset on the smart box to see if that fixes the problem, go into the box menu settings, select System, select Advanced systems settings, select Factory reset, enter code with number given on the bottom of the screen and click ok.

Before undertaking a factory reset make sure that you know your wifi password, and nowtv username & password, basically you are starting and setting the box up from scratch again.

Another thing is your box connected to your router by wifi or Ethernet?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yes an Ethernet hard wired connection to your Router would be a better option if you can do it.

Also, who is your broadband provider and what is the model of your Router and TV ?

If the factory reset doesn't help, i dont think these other things are the cause of the box crashing but might be worth checking just in case.

• Make sure that the purple light on the front of the smart box stays on and double check the power lead is connected tightly in the rear of the box and the plug is fitted properly in the mains socket.
  • With the TV and smart box switched off, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable into your TV, if no luck try a different HDMI port on your TV and i am assuming you used the HDMI high speed cable that came with your nowtv box and you are not using some sort of external HDMI switcher hub device.
  • Also, check the power settings in the box menu.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about all that trouble you're having @Anonymous User are there any updates on this? 

As @schnapps pointed out, a good reset is always worth a shot so hopefully things have worked out well 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's connected via wifi, but the router is only about 2 metres away so I can try hard wiring it in. I'll try the reboot in the morning and let you know. Thanks for the help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been having the same issue for the past month, have been virtually unable to watch any shows. Have to factory reset it daily just to get about an hours viewing and then the same thing happens. Resetting takes about half an hour as well!

I know it's an issue with the box as it will stream from the Apple TV app no problem and never have any issues.

The NOW TV help have been useless and just redirecting me to the troubleshooting on the website - was obviously the first thing i did!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I'd suggest getting it replaced.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Quick question is your Now TV box the new smart version with the inbuilt Freeview TV tuner or the standard Now TV smart box, from the link page below is it the box in the middle of the photo or the larger box on the right ?

http://help.nowtv.com/article/NOW-TV-Box-Tech-Spec