cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Issues with CEC (HDMI ARS via soundbar)

Hi all,

I'm generally very happy with my Now TV Smart box, but am having one small issue.

My setup

I have a Now TV Smart Box and BluRay player plugged into a soundbar. This is plugged into a TV's ARS HDMI port. Now TV is running the latest softare, with CEC enabled.

What works as expected

• When I turn on the BluRay player, the TV and soundbar turn on and each selects the correct input to display. Perfect.
  • When everything is already turned on (including the Now TV box), pressing a button on the Now TV remote will change the input on the soundbar to Now TV. Perfect.
  • Likewise, when I am watching Now TV, and then press a button on the BluRay remote, or turn it on, the input changes to that. Perfect.

What doesn't work as expected

• When everything is off / on standby (inc Now TV) pressing the home button on the Now TV remote does something very strange. The TV and soundbar come on, initially selecting the correct inputs. But after a couple of seconds, the TV changes from the correct input (HDMI 2, which is ARS) to HDMI 1 - which nothing is plugged into. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?
  • My only guess is that Now TV correctly sends a CEC signal, which turns everything on... but then cuts out while it boots up? And the TV (Panasonic Viera) reverts to HDMI 1. (FYI, I have set hotel mode to make HDMI 2 the initial input).

Thanks a million,

R

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Since the latest firmware update 7.7.3 on the smart box, a few owners have had issues with the incorrect HDMI input source automatically selected on their TV's when switching on the box from deep sleep mode (including myself) Smiley Mad

See this link thread below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/LATEST-SOFTWARE-UPDATE-PROBLEMS/td-p/454923

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Schnapps. That is exactly the issue I am facing. Let's hope the next update fixes it.

R

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I have a soundbase where I normally use HDMI 2 ARC on my Panasonic TV where the smart box is connected to one of the three HDMI inputs on the soundbase.

When hooked up to the soundbase, for a split second the smart box will start up and will select the correct HDMI input No 2 on the TV, then for some unknown reason the TV will then select HDMI input 1.

I tried connecting the smart box to a different HDMI port directly on my TV , but it still won't select the correct HDMI TV input on start up.

Prior to firmware 7.7.3 update on the smart box the HDMI CEC worked perfectly on my TV when using the smart box.

Hopefully the NowTV Team will provide a patch fix via a new update on the smart box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m not holding my breath; there are issues with FF, RW and pausing of live TV after the 7.7.3 update and they won’t tell us when that will be fixed either...
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

My Panasonic TV now seems to play nicely again over HDMI CEC since the latest firmware ver 8.0.3 build 4181-16 update was pushed out today on my smart box Smiley Happy

Any joy with your Panasonic TV over HDMI ARC with your soundbar setup since the update on your nowtv box ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the update Schnapps. I’ll re-enable CEC and check my box tomorrow.

R