cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet Connection

Right, I have just purchased a NowTv Smart Box. Everything was fine, the set up ran smoothly and I set up the account with no problems. I connected the box to my router with an ethernet cable.
We were watching a program thro catch up when the picture went off and a red banner popped up "Internet connection has been lost" no sooner had the red banner appeared when a green banner popped up with "Internet connection is back". We went back into the programme, found our place (it had chucked us back to the beginning of the programme) and continued to watch. Approximately 3 minuted later, the same thing happened and continued to do so for the duration of the programme - most annoying!! We've had no issues with our router and to our knowledge, the signal has been a constant one serving our phones, laptop, tablet and when we had it Sky On Demand. Its Virgin and we get speeds of around 50 Mbps. I've Googled the issue but can't seem to find anything. The most annoying thing is it dropping the signal for literally a split second (The red banner hardly has time to display before the green banner appears) but in doing so, it takes you out of whatever it is you are watching!!
I thought I would try a wireless connection, but this wouldn't even connect to the Local Network, it just failed and gave me a 014.50 error message.
Surely this is a faulty box, or does anyone else experience this and just "put up" with it 🤔
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Further update - I accessed my router and set up a "Guest Account" I tried to connect to this thro WiFi and hey presto, it worked!! Not had any loss of connection!!
I can only assume the issues are with Virgin Media & NowTV clashing somewhere - nothing makes sense as to why I cannot connect via ethernet cable or WiFi, yet have no problems tethering off my phone or going thro a guest account via WiFi 🤔🤔🤔
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do you create a guest account on the virgin router I am having the same issue

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

I have purchased two of the NOW TV Smart boxes in the last 6 weeks. The first one was returned as believed faulty having had on-line chats with technical assistance without a resolution. The second box was exactly the same in displaying the symptoms you detailed in your post. We also had two other devices connected to the internet playing simultaneously the same NOW TV program as we were trying to watch on the Smart box without a problem, while the Smart box dropped in nad out of internet connection. Like your box, it would not connect to the internet via WiFi to a Virgin fibre internet system.

I have now cancelled the passes as I can only conclude that there is an inherent generic fault with the box. I have had four lots of on line chat with NOW TV but in the end they cannot resolve the issue. I have specifically written (e-mail) to them asking how the issue can be resolved but alas they have not responded to the question but instead closed my "case".

I do believe that a new box is close to launch, which I hope resolves the issue and that users like us can exchange for free the old box for a new one. However, I suspect that we will see pigs flying first. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Totally agree.  I have spent hours on phone to virginmedia.  I am in hotel with a now tv box.  Internet access is fine.  I have had regular virginmedia tv go / anywhere access losses.  Virginmedia failed totally to resolve my access problems but oddly after leaving it for a couple of days I can now access virgin tv go on both my laptop and mobile.  I dont know what I did to nudge the device registration process back in to action.  As an IT consultant I am pretty sure this is linked to account registration.  Bizarely I have just tested swapping my laptop connection to the nowtv router to ethernet rather than wifi and ethernet fails so I have successfully reverted to wireless connection through same nowtv router.  I have had endless hours of Virginmedia logging in to my laptop remotely to resolve this.  If anyone has ideas I would like to hear them.  I have already switched off all nowtv router security controls and rely on zonealarm firewall and avg antivirus.  Virginmedia TVGO has just crashed again whilst writing this post on a different laptop proving my internet access isnt the problem.  Useless service and useless support team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve just tried to create a guest network and it won’t even connect to it!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Since connecting Wirelessly to the guest account, I have had no connection issues - it's bizzarre!!

There's clearly an issue with Virgin, but they (NowTV) don't seem to want to admit it..... Reboot your box, reboot your router, press this, press that blah blah blah!!

How far do you get when trying to connect to your Guest Account?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The help article link (step 3) that I posted in the beginning of this thread mentions if you are a Virgin Broadband customer to try setting up a guest network, which would suggest to me that the NowTV Tech Team have identified some extra additional setup maybe required on their boxes when using Virgin Routers if all the other steps fail.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you help with how I set up a guest wireless network on my virgin media internet as this losing connection is insane for us too! 

Tried a new box and had the internet checked and new wireless router and still happens. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. To setup a guest network follow the steps here, although I can't guarantee it will solve the issue in this thread

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/200300000001000/article/HELP-2915/Setting-up-a-guest-network-on-your-Virgin-Media-Hub

Anonymous User
Not applicable

After a year of using now TV and virgin this has only just started to happen to me too. I am suspicious of a now TV software update which happened recently. Of course an online chat with support is a complete waste of time.