cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet Connection

Right, I have just purchased a NowTv Smart Box. Everything was fine, the set up ran smoothly and I set up the account with no problems. I connected the box to my router with an ethernet cable.
We were watching a program thro catch up when the picture went off and a red banner popped up "Internet connection has been lost" no sooner had the red banner appeared when a green banner popped up with "Internet connection is back". We went back into the programme, found our place (it had chucked us back to the beginning of the programme) and continued to watch. Approximately 3 minuted later, the same thing happened and continued to do so for the duration of the programme - most annoying!! We've had no issues with our router and to our knowledge, the signal has been a constant one serving our phones, laptop, tablet and when we had it Sky On Demand. Its Virgin and we get speeds of around 50 Mbps. I've Googled the issue but can't seem to find anything. The most annoying thing is it dropping the signal for literally a split second (The red banner hardly has time to display before the green banner appears) but in doing so, it takes you out of whatever it is you are watching!!
I thought I would try a wireless connection, but this wouldn't even connect to the Local Network, it just failed and gave me a 014.50 error message.
Surely this is a faulty box, or does anyone else experience this and just "put up" with it 🤔
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just throwing my hat in the ring to say I'm also having the same issues. Used my now tv smart box for over a year, then a few weeks ago, I suddenly started experiencing the Internet drop out as described previously (with virgin Internet over ethernet). Assumed the smart box was faulty, so threw it away and ordered a new one. Lol and behold, exactly the same issue. Everything else connected via ethernet is fine. Tried a different ethernet cable, no change. Therefore the fault is definitely with now tv smart box.
I also couldn't connect via WiFi, so had to go into secret menu and disable Internet pings. Also had to unplug ethernet cable, as everytime I boot up smart box, it defaults back to ethernet connection and then I get the drop out again. Hoping for software fix soon from now tv!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Every just seen this item sounds like I would have to become a guest on my own wifi
Anonymous User
Not applicable

We’ve had exactly had what you described to a tee, I think it’s virgin as have no issues watching nowtv through an Xbox one. This is my second box as first one kept rebooting itself. It’s go one more chance before it goes back as very irritating.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. If you have a read through this thread there are one or two possible workarounds that might work as a stop-gap, such as setting up a guest network on your hub and connecting to that instead, although no definitive solution.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi folks, I am running EE super fast fibre broadband with seeps up to 70-odd MB averaging mid-50's.  Have been using the 2nd gen (small black box) Now TV box for a year and had no issued until the end of January 2018.  Same issues as reported here, settle down to watch a show and for no reason red banner flashes up internet connection lost and then almost immediately the green, then back to red as quickly and then back to green again.  Have spoken to EE as I thought it was them, very helpful tech guys reset my router, tested the line stability and it is not the internet connection.  Am getting the red banner early evening (before 7pm) and late evening (around 10pm) on different days without any predictability.  I am suspecting a software update glicth.  After reading your pots, it is not constrained to Virging BB.  Just very frustrating.  I am conntected via Ethernet cable into a BT broadband router expander with the router on the other side of the room.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive had exactlt the same issue as everyone on this post, which I,m glad ive found.

If it helps anyone, my nowtv smartbox and normal box which are both upstairs and connected VIA NETWORK ADAPTERS whic allow me to use ethernet cables in other rooms both work fine. Im not sure why, maybe the adapter filters something out but both boxes work as normal on NOWTV, on demand and everyhting.

The only issue I have, which is exactly the same as everyone else is when plugging straight into the virgin hub 3.0 or trying the wifi which is the box I use in the sitting room.

So in short, network plug adapters make it work, but still, theres a fault which needs to be fixed I agree.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This all makes me feel very sad. I’m having exact same issues. I have to watch via my Xbox if I want to see now tv on big screen. I could live with it if the app included live tv too, but it doesn’t. I live chat with now tv they’re only solution is send a new box. They did (3 actually!!) but none of them resolve the issue so I assume it’s a fault at my end. Did anyone get feedback from now tv stating there’s a fault using virgin specifically?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also I asked for a new entertainment and movie voucher as my enjoyment of these services were ruined by the fault. But all they offer is new boxes. Are the boxes actually cheaper than a voucher??
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried Guest account, I tried enabling and disabling Pings and it's awful. Can't watch during the day. I get a good quality picture only after midnight !!! What happened? Ever since the latest update I think everything is so messed up.... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue with Ethernet connection. (Virgin 50Mb) Wireless was awful, so I tried Ethernet and I got the banners...