cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet Connection

Right, I have just purchased a NowTv Smart Box. Everything was fine, the set up ran smoothly and I set up the account with no problems. I connected the box to my router with an ethernet cable.
We were watching a program thro catch up when the picture went off and a red banner popped up "Internet connection has been lost" no sooner had the red banner appeared when a green banner popped up with "Internet connection is back". We went back into the programme, found our place (it had chucked us back to the beginning of the programme) and continued to watch. Approximately 3 minuted later, the same thing happened and continued to do so for the duration of the programme - most annoying!! We've had no issues with our router and to our knowledge, the signal has been a constant one serving our phones, laptop, tablet and when we had it Sky On Demand. Its Virgin and we get speeds of around 50 Mbps. I've Googled the issue but can't seem to find anything. The most annoying thing is it dropping the signal for literally a split second (The red banner hardly has time to display before the green banner appears) but in doing so, it takes you out of whatever it is you are watching!!
I thought I would try a wireless connection, but this wouldn't even connect to the Local Network, it just failed and gave me a 014.50 error message.
Surely this is a faulty box, or does anyone else experience this and just "put up" with it 🤔
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No problem - they're probably still "working"  on it 🙄

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue with virgin last few weeks definitely an issue. I have a fealing virgin may be confusing the now TV streams with illegal streams like kodi and then throttling the Download
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi - You may have a point, but there are no issues when logging into a guest network Smiley Frustrated

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have 2 smart boxes, one hasn't been used for a while.

The other has all the latest updates on it & is getting the dropping internet issue.

So, I swapped them over & guess what I can watch a film all the way through without dropping the internet.

However, the stupid (Smart) box has now updated itself to the latest software & it too, does not work.

So, whatever is in the latest update is the thing that is dropping the internet connection.

I do not believe it is an issue with Virgin Broadband - otherwise we would have issues with phones & PC's dropping the connection too etc.

If it is a problem with Virgin, it is from the latest update, so it is an issue that Now TV must fix & not Virgin.

We need a way of backing out this latest update, or a quick fix from Now TV.

I have only tested this with watching films & not normal programmes yet, but the most I managed to watch was about 18 minutes uninterupted.

I have tried a Network reset, a factory reset & the Hidden Menu reset too - but no luck on either box.

Come on Now TV - fix this quick, or we will all want compensation.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have had the same issue as you all - losing connection via ethernet for the past 2 weeks, we were adviced by online chat to return & replace the smart box which we did. However still had the same issue so we contact virgin & had a new hub 3 installed (we have had separate issues with virgin with wifi dropping out too)  but still the same issue cannot connect via ethernet without losing connection - however over wifi has no problems! We are currently testing previous comments where they said watching youtube & other apps via ethernet works & yes it seems so! OK it's not a great problem to watch Now TV over wifi but would prefer ethernet cable as then not another device using the already 'busy' wifi signals!!

Do Now TV read these comments?! How do we get them to revert the update which has caused this issue!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I'm not alone...

Never thought about checking this forum!

Same issues with a smart box, had virgin media out & say nothing found etc (apart from another customer with same NowTV issue!!)

Been able to watch in another room/different box via wifi and no problem -didn't need to set up guest network, fine on main ssid.

Did try out and found last night that moving the small black now tv box (working on wifi) into other room and using ethernet was good too, so just the smartbox having the issue....? so probably not virgin after all

Come on NowTV - my smartbox is out of warranty (been fine for 18months) so what've you done!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all

try updating the smartbox

here's how: 

1. Check for updates

On your NOW TV remote:

1. Quickly press Home x5, Fast Forward x3 then Rewind x2 in this order.
  2. Select Update Software then press OK.

This needs to be done even if the version numbers are the same to make sure the software's updated and any faults in the current software are repaired.

These instructions can also be found athttp://help.nowtv.com/article/Error-011-NOW-TV-Box.

If this doesn't work, try unplugging the NOW TV box and wireless router for a few minutes the plug them back in starting with the wireless router. You'll need to set your NOW TV box back up and once you've done this, go back to the NOW TV app and try playing out again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I have been in an online chat for over 2 hours with Now TV!!

Not got anywhere!!

We have tried everything she has suggested and still losing connection via an ethernet cable which is brand new cat 6.

The person I am currently speaking to is blaming virgin saying that my ethernet speed is less than wireless speed - however when I connect the same ethernet cable to my laptop & getting a constant speed of over 180mbs.

This advisor is telling me my Now TV Smart Box is only getting 2.5mbs!

I have tried to tell her that surely a wired connection is always better so how comes we can stream over wifi with no issues but after 2 long hours she has answered that they recommend using wifi to avoid ethernet cable issues!!

That is unacceptable to me as I have been using an ethernet cable for over a year with no isssues so why now?! 

She is telling me to set up over wireless using a guest network which I have repeatedly told her wireless connection isn't an issue & I don't need to make a guest network becuase wireless is working!

I don't understand how we can use the youtube / bbc iplayer apps etc over wired connection with no issues however can't watch Now TV & they can't explain this either.

We have tried updating but still says our box was last updated 19th Jan - she has now said that ALL OF US have reported this issue after the latest update after 30th Jan which I tried to explain would be 19th! I've asked her to report it higher so that maybe they can issue a new update reverting back to before 19th but apparently they can't do that in case it affects other users!

She has now admitted that the last update has affected Virgin ISP users - so I have told her surely if they know there is a problem they should now try to resolve it for the virgin users! Basically she's told me that we've fixed it ourselves by using wireless (or setting up guest networks) 

2 and a half hours later & she tells me she believes they must have a 'fix' in the upcoming update!!

I am NOT HAPPY what a waste of the last 2 and half hours - feel like I am getting fobbed off now as I asked for a phone number (which there isn't one) to speak to someone & she's decided to conviently tell me there will be a fix in the upcoming update but does not know when that is! I can't sit at my laptop for another 2 hours so will have to just wait and see I guess!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fingers crossed.  This seems to have worked.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

30 minutes on the phone to Virgin and not sorted.  I did this and instant success including being able to connect via wifi.  Definitely a nowtv issue not Virgin!  I can now watch Greys Anatomy without pulling my hair out.  Thank you!

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi all

try updating the smartbox

here's how: 

1. Check for updates

On your NOW TV remote:

1. Quickly press Home x5, Fast Forward x3 then Rewind x2 in this order.
  2. Select Update Software then press OK.

This needs to be done even if the version numbers are the same to make sure the software's updated and any faults in the current software are repaired.

These instructions can also be found athttp://help.nowtv.com/article/Error-011-NOW-TV-Box.

If this doesn't work, try unplugging the NOW TV box and wireless router for a few minutes the plug them back in starting with the wireless router. You'll need to set your NOW TV box back up and once you've done this, go back to the NOW TV app and try playing out again.