cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Internet Connection

Right, I have just purchased a NowTv Smart Box. Everything was fine, the set up ran smoothly and I set up the account with no problems. I connected the box to my router with an ethernet cable.
We were watching a program thro catch up when the picture went off and a red banner popped up "Internet connection has been lost" no sooner had the red banner appeared when a green banner popped up with "Internet connection is back". We went back into the programme, found our place (it had chucked us back to the beginning of the programme) and continued to watch. Approximately 3 minuted later, the same thing happened and continued to do so for the duration of the programme - most annoying!! We've had no issues with our router and to our knowledge, the signal has been a constant one serving our phones, laptop, tablet and when we had it Sky On Demand. Its Virgin and we get speeds of around 50 Mbps. I've Googled the issue but can't seem to find anything. The most annoying thing is it dropping the signal for literally a split second (The red banner hardly has time to display before the green banner appears) but in doing so, it takes you out of whatever it is you are watching!!
I thought I would try a wireless connection, but this wouldn't even connect to the Local Network, it just failed and gave me a 014.50 error message.
Surely this is a faulty box, or does anyone else experience this and just "put up" with it 🤔
66 REPLIES 66
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did this and whilst initially it worked after about 30 minutes “Lost Connection”, so went down the wireless guest connection route which works but I don’t see why I should now, after many months without problem as wired connection, change to wireless, not the best connection, slows down WiFi speed in the household and there’s no problem with my set up but Now TV’s, therefore shouldn’t they resolve !?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm just going by what people are posting - the connection issues people are experiencing seem to be limited to those who are on Virgin 🤔
I have no idea why it works flawlessly using the Guest Account, but I haven't had one drop in connection since I hooked it up 👍
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, this isn't just a problem with Virgin.  We have BT and this has just started to happen with our now TV box.  Very frustrating !

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Clearly an update issue with the smart boxes then!! I wonder if there's another way to complain to Now TV?!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m having the same issue with my NowTv box , it’ll play a program & then I get a red message saying ‘internet has been lost’ then comes straight back ‘internet is back’!
I’m also with Virgin but I use Virgin for my XboxOne upstairs which is wired too & I have no problems at all so the fault is down to the NowTv box it has too!
Please give us an update to resolve this issue otherwise I’ll be throwing mine in the bin soon & getting rid.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi MikeyBee,

I believe I've resolved the problem, using the various ideas in a few posts above. Unplug the ethernet cable from the "smart"box (otherwise it uses that as the default connection every time it turns on). Go to Advanced Settings and reset all network connections. Then connect to the wifi guest account you've set up on your virgin router.

Should now be fine. I did a factory reset, but that didn't seem to help (beyond allowing me to connect my "smart"box via wifi, whcih it wouldn't do before).

Hope that's useful. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

just did all you said and it works THANKS, got no where with Nowtv just wasted 3 hours of my life chatting getting timed out on chat  then going through whole process again. The customer service should be embarrassed its abysmal, sent an email complaint but, obviously, no reply. Thanks again 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just wanted to add that I am also having the same issue with the signal dropping out. I am also on Virgin Media. However, I am using the Now TV app via the PS4....

Am going to try the guest account WiFi connection as suggested by others, but wanted to give a heads up in case other app users are also having trouble 😡

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Everyone

I have managed to fix the issue and connect with ethernet again without issue... What you need to do is

Enter background menu by pressing following keys.

Home x 5
Fast Forward x 1
Play x 1
Rewind x 1
Play x 1
Fast Forward x 1

Select system operating menu

Then

Disable Pings

Then

Reconnect Pings

Then back arrow to exit this menu and back to home screen, reconnect ethernet cable, wait a few seconds any reset wired connection in the settings menu and it should work fine, did mine last night and watched a program with no issues.

Hope this helps
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This worked for me