cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Indoor ariel?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! Will I need an indoor ariel to get Freeview channels once my NowTV box is set up and I cancel my Virgin TV?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

Unless this is the now discontinued NowTV Smart Freeview box, you won’t get Freeview on any NowTV device. And certainly not on the current Stick or Smart box.

So no, you won’t need an aerial with any current NowTV box.

However, you won’t get Freeview either, beyond those channels - admittedly the major ones, and they may well suffice for you - that are BBC, ITV, Channel Four, Channel 5 or UKTV provided, and so on their catchup players on the NowTV box. All the apps you can get are listed here, though the list might be slightly out of date.

If you want any more - the Shopping channels, craft channels, car restoration channels and suchlike, you can probably get those direct on your TV; though that will certainly need an aerial to get them.

My advice would be to see how you get on with all the stuff that is on the NowTV devices, and only worry about an aerial if you find yourself wanting programmes that are on Freeview, but not on the NowTV device. And that may be never.... Smiley Happy

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
starman73
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry if this is a stupid question! Will I need an indoor ariel to get Freeview channels once my NowTV box is set up and I cancel my Virgin TV?

Unless you have the right Now TV box you won't get the freeview channels except via catchup services like iPlayer and ITV Hub.  Most boxes don't support Freeview.

Check to see if there is an aerial input on the box.  If not, you won't get freeview channels.

If you want freeview channels on a stick then a Roku would be better as you can get the channels vis TV Player and UK Play TV apps.

RoyB
Legend

NowTV has UKTV Play, or at least it says it does. It doesn’t have TV Player though, more’s the pity.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So if I want to watch, say Eastenders, I could only watch it on BBC iplayer?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

IPlayer , ITV Hub , All4 & My5 will give you access to all main stream programs other Freeview channels could be an issue without an aerial. TBH most other Freeview channels are simply off shoots of the main 4 channels (5Star , 5USA , More4 & 4Seven) are all connected to Channel5 & Channel4.

The cost of getting a decent aerial installed will set you back between £70 to £100 which will give you access to the whole Freeview selection. If you have a Smart Tv or depending which Now Tv box/Stick you have chosen you will also have access to Netflix & Amazon Prime both are subscription services.

cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yes

RoyB
Legend

Unless this is the now discontinued NowTV Smart Freeview box, you won’t get Freeview on any NowTV device. And certainly not on the current Stick or Smart box.

So no, you won’t need an aerial with any current NowTV box.

However, you won’t get Freeview either, beyond those channels - admittedly the major ones, and they may well suffice for you - that are BBC, ITV, Channel Four, Channel 5 or UKTV provided, and so on their catchup players on the NowTV box. All the apps you can get are listed here, though the list might be slightly out of date.

If you want any more - the Shopping channels, craft channels, car restoration channels and suchlike, you can probably get those direct on your TV; though that will certainly need an aerial to get them.

My advice would be to see how you get on with all the stuff that is on the NowTV devices, and only worry about an aerial if you find yourself wanting programmes that are on Freeview, but not on the NowTV device. And that may be never.... Smiley Happy