cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Illegal streaming in flatshare

Hello there

Not sure where to post this. So I have a new flatmate since a few weeks and I noticed she is using popcorn time a lot which I have discovered is an illegal streaming platform. We have every legal option available here (amazon/netflix/nowtv) so I'm not happy with flatmate doing that. Especially since internet is in my name.

I tried blocking it through the now tv settings but she just harassed me to get the password and unlock it. I am not sure how come now tv leaves those site unblock. Any way (other than reasoning her - which definitely does not work) I can get this annoying illegal app blocked ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy @4268

Hi Jam

Sorry to hear you have another problem but, hey, that's life.

Anyway, some years ago there was a method developed, called "Bandwidth Shaping" that can effectively block or slow down P2P Internet traffic, and so making P2P usage unusable, while not affecting anything else.

While this method is not widely used by ISP's nowadays , because P2P usage has almost died out, it may be possible for your ISP to apply this "Bandwidth Shaping" technology to your Internet line, which will effectively kill off "Popcorn" usage.  

However, I do not know whether or not "Bandwidth Shaping" will affect your Now TV usage, you can only try it and see.

Finally, if, as you say, you have a tenant putting your Internet connection to illegal use then that will come back on you and, as I see it, should be grounds for eviction, along with her anti-social and bullying behaviour.

UK Bob

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Hey Andy

I'm ready.

Pitch Fork.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot all for your help!

Issue is solved, kind of, flatmate is unhappy and moody but I just made myself clear I will not tolerate this or her other antisocial behaviour, and there was no gorund for discussion. Things have calmed down and it seems she has dropped the idea of using torrent or other things. I made clear that I have been there for 3 years with no problems so should she not be happy with those rules, she is wlecome to leave. 

I also rang NowTV and they were very helpful and explained how to block unwanted websites moving forward.

Thank you again guys, I'm quite amazed at how reactive and helpful everyone seems to be on this m,essage board 😃