cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Illegal streaming in flatshare

Hello there

Not sure where to post this. So I have a new flatmate since a few weeks and I noticed she is using popcorn time a lot which I have discovered is an illegal streaming platform. We have every legal option available here (amazon/netflix/nowtv) so I'm not happy with flatmate doing that. Especially since internet is in my name.

I tried blocking it through the now tv settings but she just harassed me to get the password and unlock it. I am not sure how come now tv leaves those site unblock. Any way (other than reasoning her - which definitely does not work) I can get this annoying illegal app blocked ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy @4268

Hi Jam

Sorry to hear you have another problem but, hey, that's life.

Anyway, some years ago there was a method developed, called "Bandwidth Shaping" that can effectively block or slow down P2P Internet traffic, and so making P2P usage unusable, while not affecting anything else.

While this method is not widely used by ISP's nowadays , because P2P usage has almost died out, it may be possible for your ISP to apply this "Bandwidth Shaping" technology to your Internet line, which will effectively kill off "Popcorn" usage.  

However, I do not know whether or not "Bandwidth Shaping" will affect your Now TV usage, you can only try it and see.

Finally, if, as you say, you have a tenant putting your Internet connection to illegal use then that will come back on you and, as I see it, should be grounds for eviction, along with her anti-social and bullying behaviour.

UK Bob

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Not so easy I would imagine. It's a P2P system so not as simple as blocking a website. In theory you could set up port blocks but finding out exactly which ports to block might not be easy. Similarly you could set up a MAC access control to prevent her devices from connecting, but I'm guessing you would still want her to be able to access the Internet for legitimate activities.

I'm not sure what affect the Broadband Buddy has on P2P, if any. If it does restrict this then that might be the best route, and you'll just have to be firm about not changing the settings, although it may well interfere with accessing websites you use legitimately. The NOW TV Combo Team should know more details on this.

As reasoning seems to be out of the question I think the best thing to do would be to give the Combo Team a call tomorrow and seek their advice on the matter as clearly you'd want to prevent this as soon as possible given the account is in your name. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User sorry but you need to not let her bully you. What else are you going to let her bully you over? Change the password straight away and every day if you need to.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy @4268

Hi Jam

Sorry to hear you have another problem but, hey, that's life.

Anyway, some years ago there was a method developed, called "Bandwidth Shaping" that can effectively block or slow down P2P Internet traffic, and so making P2P usage unusable, while not affecting anything else.

While this method is not widely used by ISP's nowadays , because P2P usage has almost died out, it may be possible for your ISP to apply this "Bandwidth Shaping" technology to your Internet line, which will effectively kill off "Popcorn" usage.  

However, I do not know whether or not "Bandwidth Shaping" will affect your Now TV usage, you can only try it and see.

Finally, if, as you say, you have a tenant putting your Internet connection to illegal use then that will come back on you and, as I see it, should be grounds for eviction, along with her anti-social and bullying behaviour.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy Thanks a lot and all other posters too this is really kind of you to have taken the time to help out.

I will definitely ring nowtv team to see what we can do. I told her this illegal use of internet would put me at risk yest her reply was "I'm the only one at risk here with malware etc..." NO YOU ARE NOT! She tried to debate telling me I should have asked her before blocking popcorn time. Sriously?

I have netflix, amazon etc all available, I don't even ask her to pay with me for it, she is more than welcome to use these. Yet she still tries to debate her way in popcorn torrent or whatever.

Thanks a lot guys I'll have a discussion with her and not just about that!

Thank you

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 🙂

I know other users have posted but do not let this girl take advantage. The cheeky mare would have her devices smashed to bits if I were in your shoes. 😉

If you do what @4268 says, she will get the message in the end and if not, she knows where the door is. 😉

Let us know how you get on. x

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why not type up a bogus letter from the service provider warning about possible suspicious use of the internet and sites being accessed. Then either present it to her or leave it lying around to be found, then raise the matter a day or so later?!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @4268

Hi Rich

In the short term, your idea may seem like a good one but, if Jam decides to take eviction action, issuing a "false letter" could back fire.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @4268

Hi Rich

In the short term, your idea may seem like a good one but, if Jam decides to take eviction action, issuing a "false letter" could back fire.

UK Bob

Plus it would probably seem a bit suspicious so soon. Smiley Surprised

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Blimey, this thread's turning into some kind of vigilante action group. We'll all be turning up with pitchforks next.

image.jpeg