cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ideas to improve NOW TV Smart Box

I'm thinking of buying one to also act as my Freeview HD tuner but there are clearly issues as can be seen by the other topics so here are some suggestions that would get me to buy the box. I would be good if this could be put in the ideas section?

1. 7 day EPG;
  2. On-screen numeric pad to allow jumping channels;
  3. Ability to customise channel list e.g. remove unwanted channels; useful given there is no way to jump channels;
  4. Integration of Now TV live channels so that the Now TV doesn't need to launch; I'm guessing the Freeview app needs to be able to check passes.

FYI @Karl-F, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User and @Anonymous User

17 REPLIES 17
Legend 5
Legend 5

You missed out parental control on Freeview tab.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Abiliity to record on one live channel while watching another, especially sports.  

An extended independent time shift on different sporst channels.

Remove infra red from remote make it more like chromecast/roku stick/fire stick  so box can be hidden.

I don't really care for things like numeric remotes or EPGs, suspect they will just add to the price and/or slow the box down.    I have to admit I'd be all for removing the Freeview tuner entirely.  Most TVs have a Freeview HD tuner bar the older models.  I see it as non-essential add on.  After all, I get Now Tv for the channels that are not on Freeview.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Abiliity to record on one live channel while watching another, especially sports.  

An extended independent time shift on different sporst channels.

Remove infra red from remote make it more like chromecast/roku stick/fire stick  so box can be hidden.

I don't really care for things like numeric remotes or EPGs, suspect they will just add to the price and/or slow the box down.    I have to admit I'd be all for removing the Freeview tuner entirely.  Most TVs have a Freeview HD tuner bar the older models.  I see it as non-essential add on.  After all, I get Now Tv for the channels that are not on Freeview.

The suggestion of dual tuner and recorder would be for the next version of the box. Feel free to start a thread for ideas for the next version of the smart box.

As I pointed out, I wanted to get the smart box because of the tuner; none of mine have Freeview HD; both have Freeview and one also has Freesat. I made this thread for improving the experience on the current smart box; will see if I can edit the topic title to make that clearer.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

The suggestion of dual tuner and recorder would be for the next version of the box. Feel free to start a thread for ideas for the next version of the smart box.

As I pointed out, I wanted to get the smart box because of the tuner; none of mine have Freeview HD; both have Freeview and one also has Freesat. I made this thread for improving the experience on the current smart box; will see if I can edit the topic title to make that clearer.

My 32" TV doesn't have Freeview HD either and although it is nice to have the HD channels the truth is the TV is only HD ready and the picture is only marginally better.  I'd probably only really notice the improvemnet it the screen was significantly larger.  

Topic title very open to interpretation, hence my reply  🙂

herojan
Expert

@Anonymous User

all good suggestions which were raised during the trial. Hopefully we will get them oneday.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@herojan wrote:

@Anonymous User

all good suggestions which were raised during the trial. Hopefully we will get them oneday.

In that case I hope we'll see these improvements implemented soon!

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

My 32" TV doesn't have Freeview HD either and although it is nice to have the HD channels the truth is the TV is only HD ready and the picture is only marginally better.  I'd probably only really notice the improvemnet it the screen was significantly larger.  

Topic title very open to interpretation, hence my reply  🙂

@Anonymous User it is already the case that all new digital TV receivers and TVs that are 32 inches or above have to have either a DVB-T2 or DVB-S2 tuner. Otherwise equipment manufacturers aren't allowed to use the relevant freesat or Freeview markers on their equipment. And in 2017. The rules are being tightened even further. In fact, at that point I think it will be pretty much illegal to sell pre S2 or T2 equipment. This is all in preparation for the T2 switchover in 2020

Freeview no longer authorises the use of the old freeview marker on equipment. They now only authorise the use of the Freeview HD marker or the Freeview play marker on equipment

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

This is all in preparation for the T2 switchover in 2020

@commanda6  Which will render a couple of my TVs and my Freeview DVD/HDD recorder more or less obsolete as far as transmissions are concerned.    Fortunately my third TV has a SCART adapter which in extremis  I can use to play VHS.   Sooner everything is streamed the better.  Then I can rip the aerial down.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

This is all in preparation for the T2 switchover in 2020

@commanda6  Which will render a couple of my TVs and my Freeview DVD/HDD recorder more or less obsolete as far as transmissions are concerned.    Fortunately my third TV has a SCART adapter which in extremis  I can use to play VHS.   Sooner everything is streamed the better.  Then I can rip the aerial down.

Hi @Anonymous User

It will be a long time before everything is streamed and that if it ever happens . There are still a lot of content rights and content protection issues surrounding IP transmission , especially with regard to pay-TV If you go back five or six years service like NowTV, which provides  pay-TV channels via IP would not have been allowed. So I wouldn't pull down that aerial used yet.

I believe IP transmission is something that the industry on some level is still trying to resist as services like NowTV still have significant restrictions placed upon them.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.