cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I want to remove the YouTube app off the box!

I want to remove the YouTube app off the box. Youtube is not safe for young children to be viewing and even though i have spoken to my 6yr old about not being allowed to go on the app she does not listen! I have read through forums to find a way of deleting of locking the app so that she is unable to access it but to my amazement there is no way. This needs to be sorted out and changed asap for the safety of all children and to help parents keep their children safe online.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You can remove the YouTube app by highlighting it with the remote (but not pressing OK to open) then press * on the remote and the option to remove will appear, but unfortunately anyone can go to the App Store and install it again. if it is a persistent problem for you you might want to consider a Roku box rather than a NOW TV box as these do allow you to control exactly which apps appear and prevent children from installing apps themselves (although if you use the NOW TV box to watch Freeview channels via an aerial none of the Roku boxes can do this).

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv have ABSOLUTLEY NOT provided a solution despite proclaiming that it has. Once youtube is deleted a child can simply add it again.

It appears that the only 'solution' is to cancel Now TV altogether and find a new service - perhaps Virgin tv? as there is no way to protect Children form Youtube in the Nowtv system. It's an absolute disgrace to allow access to children.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User the solutions in threads are marked by other commenters, not NowTV. 

As for it being a disgrace to allow children access to YouTube, well, you as the owner of the NowTV device have the ultimate control on who has access.

Unplug the stick or take away the remote in the same manner that you'd put matches out of reach, lock knives away or ensure children don't have access to car keys.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
You obviously have no concern on child safeguarding here.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User contrary to what you think, I do.

My 10 year old step daughter is only allowed to use NowTV when we're in the room. When we're not in the room she has free run of terrestrial TV. The NowTV remote is hidden and out of reach.

She has a tablet linked to my partner's Android account and can't install apps without her permission.

If NowTV (or any other service) don't provide a way of blocking apps, create your own way - hide the remote/device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you, yes it’s been removed from the room now, she can watch it down stairs with us but not alone, we don’t have terrestrial tv, I’ve managed to block her from adding it in the Xbox too, my daughter is ASD and very clever she can work these things so easily. It blows my mind. And with YouTube there is so much rubbish which can skew children’s minds. I just want to protect all my children as much as possible. I am part of a child protect organisation. And I’ve seen first hand what kinds of damage does to children’s minds, behaviour and mental health.
StevePNicolaW
Mentor

Apologies if this offends, but responsibility starts at home.

YOU should be policing this yourself to start with, not absolving it and blaming others for it.

How many children aged 6 have a tv in their room? at that age a kids room is for playing in and sleeping. My step children (4) didn't and the 4 year old son of one of them certainly won't, 

I was 11 before I had a tv in my room.

As part of this child protect organisation, surely their message is that the responsibility begins with their parent/ guardian.

I'm surprised, considering the work you do that you're so easily absolving your responsibility to your daughter when you must deal with loads of kids every day whose parents have done this exact thing?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey isnt it ridiculous though that everything else you need some kind of subscription or at least log in to access whereas youtube is freely accessible to all. And instead of legit film makers with watersheds and some level of consciousness as whats widely accepted as suitable content, youtube is pretty much unmoderated and quite often ridiculously unsuitable content for kids because its all encompassing non age oriented content. The way the auto play works on algorithms can offer quite unsuitable suggestions for the unsuspecting viewer, for example while watching 'baby' TV programmes, youtube kept suggesting live birth programmes for my child. Now there's baby and there's baby. Some of the thumbnails...! I mean I'm pretty open minded but cheeses. 

I believe as we, as parents and step parents have wandered onto this thread and we have good supervision of our kids, but there should defo be a barrier to protect kids who will end up messed up by the simple action of pressing a button and not having the benefit of parents who give a