cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I want to remove the YouTube app off the box!

I want to remove the YouTube app off the box. Youtube is not safe for young children to be viewing and even though i have spoken to my 6yr old about not being allowed to go on the app she does not listen! I have read through forums to find a way of deleting of locking the app so that she is unable to access it but to my amazement there is no way. This needs to be sorted out and changed asap for the safety of all children and to help parents keep their children safe online.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You can remove the YouTube app by highlighting it with the remote (but not pressing OK to open) then press * on the remote and the option to remove will appear, but unfortunately anyone can go to the App Store and install it again. if it is a persistent problem for you you might want to consider a Roku box rather than a NOW TV box as these do allow you to control exactly which apps appear and prevent children from installing apps themselves (although if you use the NOW TV box to watch Freeview channels via an aerial none of the Roku boxes can do this).

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Athough it is possible to delete most 'apps' from your 'My Apps' area (ie: direct access/view), there's currently no method of stopping people re-installing them from the 'App Store'... Indeed, most kids can work out how to do this Smiley Surprised

EDIT: This situation is the same for most 'smart' TV's too...

Cheers

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You can remove the YouTube app by highlighting it with the remote (but not pressing OK to open) then press * on the remote and the option to remove will appear, but unfortunately anyone can go to the App Store and install it again. if it is a persistent problem for you you might want to consider a Roku box rather than a NOW TV box as these do allow you to control exactly which apps appear and prevent children from installing apps themselves (although if you use the NOW TV box to watch Freeview channels via an aerial none of the Roku boxes can do this).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you i'll give it a go at removing it. See how it goes then if she continues to reinstall she will be having the other box. Thanks again
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Sadly it took one of my friends 6 year old less than a day to work out how to re-install all the apps they didn't want her to access Smiley Surprised

Anyway... good luck 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its so annoying that there isnt a lock of any sort that can be put on to stop young children accessing it. You have people on the the tv on about keeping your kids safe online but then no tidy measures are provided to help parents ensure so. Bloody stupid! 😤😤
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Its so annoying that there isnt a lock of any sort that can be put on to stop young children accessing it. 

Indeed @Anonymous User,

Like I mentioned before, the situation is the same for most 'smart' TV's too Smiley Mad

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I've asked the community manager to place a request for a Channel PIN to control which apps are on the box and stop children installing apps in the Ideas Board of the forum. You,ll find it here

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Ideas-for-NOW-TV/Channel-Store-PIN-request-for-NOW-TV-boxes/idc-p/437595#M6480

If you take a moment to vote and/or leave a comment there to show your support you never know it might be something they implement in the future.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The link doesn't work! it says I do not have permission!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My 3 year old discovered how to reinstall this within minutes of me deleting it! I’ve given up. 

However, just realised we’ve lost the remote and are using app’s to control it, so may be able to delete it for a while now as he can’t access my phone without me 😉