cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the new smart box. I can't get it to work.

I bought a smart box with a 3 month entertainment voucher in it. Ive now spent hours and hours trying to get it to work. It is connected to my TV, aeriel and router and all that happens is stripes on the TV with a No Signal PAL  message. Ive tried on different days and I've tried pressing the remote buttons but with no result whatsover. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong but it seems weird that absolutely nothing works. Is the box a dud perhaps? 

11 REPLIES 11
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. First things first... What's the make and model number of your television?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sony KV 24 LS35U. Yes it's a CRT. I've connected via a n HDMI to composite converter from Amazon. Both the blurb and user reviews of the converter said it dealt with HDCP issues and I did read in the user reviews that it could be used to connect a Now Tv box

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi again,

This is a difficult one @Anonymous User because strictly speaking nobody here on the NOW TV forum is permitted to help somebody who is using a device that is capable of removing copyright protection!

Maybe one of the NOW TV Team members can help you instead...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would like to add that I'm using the converter as my TV does not have an HDMI port. as it is an old CRT. It is a good TV with great colour reproduction and I don't want to add to the huge pile of TVs in landfill. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I suppose the next question has to be, what device have you purchased from Amazon and how are you connecting it to your TV?

Does it have a NTSC/PAL switch?

Regards

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

The NOW TV box supports UK services. Which is all 50Hz (PAL)....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The converter is ESYNiC 1080P HDMI Digital Signal to AV Composite 3 RCA CVBS Video Audio Converter, I set it to output PAL it is powered via usb

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that update.

I've looked at the manual for your TV on the Sony site. This suggests that the device will be connected to the 'AV3'

front panel input, and the AV3 TV input needs to be selected via your remote control.

Are you certain the device is powered up correctly?

Regards

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been connecting to the composite input on the front of the TV and selecting that input on the TV remote. The now TV box definitley switches on [I hear whirring noises and see a light on the box}. The TV seems to recognise that something is plugged into the third input as shows multicolur "deckchair I've cloth" stripes when this imput is connected and tells me no PAL signal is received; when I select other inputs the screen is dark.

I have tried resetting the box but the problem persists. I've tried moving the aeriel around. I've had my TV very briefly [a few seconds] display the NOW TV logo before returning to "no signal detected". The aeriel is a very flimsy indoors upwards stick a few inches high. However it got practically all the Freeview channels showing on my Freeview box in a few minutes and I don't have loss of sigmal problems.

I've not used the composite input onthe TV before: I'll try and see if I've a way of testing this.