cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How do I enter power standby mode on new smart box

hello

I'm  sure it's somewhere but I can't find out how to put the nowtv smart box into standby mode

Can someone enlighten me please

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

You can't manually put it into standby mode, but it will drop into screensaver mode of its own accord after a while and into a deep sleep mode when left for an extended period. It uses very little power anyway so not an issue. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

You can't manually put it into standby mode, but it will drop into screensaver mode of its own accord after a while and into a deep sleep mode when left for an extended period. It uses very little power anyway so not an issue. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello

thanks for information

not sure if I'm personally happy with this setup but will give it a go and see

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It very rarely goes into screensaver mode. Usually when I switch on I have to wake it up. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

There is an option in the box settings menu under system, power where you can enable Auto power off for a set time of 4 hours only.

However there is also an inbuilt automatic ECO mode feature on the box, where changing the HDMI input source on your TV set (for example switching over from the NowTV smart box to say your DVD player etc or switching your TV either into stanby or off) the smart box will automatically detect the loss of signal  and will countdown for two minutes where the box goes into a deep sleep mode and shutdown.

You can test this yourself if you want, whilst watching something on the smart box either change the HDMI input source to another device connected to your TV or alternatively press the standby off button on your TV remote, then after a short period time (2min) you will see the purple power light on the front of the smart box will start to flash, once the light goes off either switch the HDMI input source back to the smart box or switch the standby on button on your TV and you will find that the smart box is now in a deep sleep mode.

To waken the smart box up again, just press any key on your smart remote controller and the box will re start with the now tv welcome banner, and it will take you back to the homepage screen.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Funnily enough I've never had that happen with my setup. It just drops into screensaver like the old box does, and then each morning (or presumably after the 4 hour period during the day)  it wakes from passive standby. Whether that's because I've disabled HDMI-CEC on all my equipment (even though the box isn't supposed to support it) or whether it's because it's connected via an amp I don't know. Although I don't want to change it, as the wake up from active standby takes too long for me so I'm happy to have it on screensaver mode most of the time.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

On my setup i have the smart box connected to one of the three number HDMI inputs on my soundbase then a single HDMI output cable goes into the HDMI 2 (ARC) connection on the TV.

With the Panasonic TV i have programmed to have ARC over HDMI 2 and Viera Link (CEC) on.

The smart box  Auto power option is enabled (ticked) for 4 hours.

So for example if i am watching something on the NowTV box say if i change the HDMl input 2 to say my YouView box HDMI 1, if i then switch the source back to HDMI 2 within the 2 minute time frame an ECO countdown timer clock will appear on the screen and it then gives me the option to either stop the countdown clock or let the clock run down until the box shuts down into deep sleep eco mode.

I assumed that's how it worked with all the smart boxes based on how my box switches off in eco mode ?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Hmm, well the smart box obviously knows when the TV is switched off in your case, so it must be getting some kind of HDMI info, even though the official word is its not HDMI-CEC compliant.

I have all devices connected up to the amp which passes everything through a single HDMI to TV, but because I don't use the TV for anything other than a dumb monitor (have a separate Freesat box so don't use the TV for Freesat or Freeview and don't bother with the TV's smart apps as I have the NOW TV and Amazon boxes which I prefer to use) then I've disabled HDMI-CEC on everything, so I suspect that must be the key difference in our setups. 

Shame the smart box doesn't have the Roku 4’s power off option then everyone would be happy!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

On my tv every CEC feature is turned on, ot works perfectly with other connected devices. But my smart box doesn't go to standby after several minutes if I turn off the tv or switch to another input source. I tried in multiple ports,  nothing changed. On thing I noticed that if I unplug the HDMI cable the box goes into standby after several minutes.

I suspect that the behaviour depends on the device, which the now tv box is connected to, how it handles to HDMI inputs in case of input change or puting it to standby and nothing to do with CEC.

I hope some CEC support is not far away (New Smart box HDMI CEC?). I really miss this feature or being able to put it to standby manually. I don't like the noise of the fan, my only option currently is to switch the power off. Or buying the same soundbase what @schnapps is using :).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The question related to this, which I can't believe nobody seems to be asking, is how to stop the nowtv box from entering eco mode?

I have it connected to an amp like Andy, with a monitor doing nothing but display, cut the issue is that when I switch temporarily to another I put, say Spotify for a few minutes and pause the TV, when you switch back you have to wake it up, and start again from the home screen, losing anything you had buffered.

I can't find any options or information anywhere on how to disable this.

I've disabled and enabled all the related settings in the amp, but nothing stops this from happening.

Thanks