cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Help!

I have just moved in to a new property, I have found out I have no Ariel. I have an engineer coming to visit me on Monday to install my now tv broadband and tv box. Can I watch live tv through the box without an Ariel? I have had someone out to look and they have recommended that I get a humax box. I am really confused. Any help would be greatly received! 

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Firstly when you ordered nowtv broadband and telephone it only usually comes with a hub router and not an additional nowtv box for watching TV.

Did you buy the nowtv box as an optional extra from the nowtv website shop ?

If you don't won't or need the over the air Freeview TV channels and just want nowtv content or the Apps that comes with the nowtv devices then all you need is the internet (2.5 mbps or higher down speed) and a television with a HDMI port.

Maybe this article will help on what devices that you can watch nowtv with.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to add if you want the over the air Freeview channels then you will need a TV aerial (fixed type would be the best option unless you want to take a chance with a portable TV indoor aerial).

The only nowtv box with an inbuilt TV tuner that needs an aerial connected to it is the smart box generation 1 like shown in the picture below.
Smart_Box_main.pngThe draw back with the above device is that it only has one inbuilt Freeview TV tuner and there is no hard drive to record TV channels from the EPG.

With the nowtv smart box shown in the picture you can only watch live channels (no recording feature), but it does have a 30min SD or 15min HD live pause fuction.

The new Humax Youview boxes are great for recording Freeview TV channels, but the NowTV App on the box is restricted to on demand movies only and it wouldn't be my first choice for watching nowtv.

Any question, then please ask. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

D@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Forgot to add if you want the over the air Freeview channels then you will need a TV aerial (fixed type would be the best option unless you want to take a chance with a portable TV indoor aerial).

The only nowtv box with an inbuilt TV tuner that needs an aerial connected to it is the smart box generation 1 like shown in the picture below.
Smart_Box_main.pngThe draw back with the above device is that it only has one inbuilt Freeview TV tuner and there is no hard drive to record TV channels from the EPG.

With the nowtv smart box shown in the picture you can only watch live channels (no recording feature), but it does have a 30min SD or 15min HD live pause fuction.

The new Humax Youview boxes are great for recording Freeview TV channels, but the NowTV App on the box is restricted to on demand movies only and it wouldn't be my first choice for watching nowtv.

Any question, then please ask. 

Well I’m gonna thank you for that info mate. Just watching Remembrance Service on BBC1 HD. Paused it whilst went to make a brew and it only paused for 15 mins then started again. Never occurred to me that HD channels would pause for a shorter period. Thought it was a glitch with the 4170 recent update. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yep HD channels takes up more capacity in the smart box memory pause buffer than SD channels.

I get between 15 to 17mins on HD channels (depending on the HD bitrate) and the full 30 minutes on the SD channels that i have tried on Freeview.