cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

HDMI matrix

So I finally got around to doing something the wife has been bugging me about for months - connecting devices in the lounge (Freeview box, Blueray and NowTV) to a tv in another room (yes, the kitchen).

I bought a 4 input 4 output hdmi matrix, ran a 5m hdmi cable to the kitchen through the wall to the tv and connected to output 2 on the matrix. The devices are plugged into inputs 1, 2 & 3. The problem is, the NowTV will not play on the kitchen tv when I select it but the Freeview and Blueray will. I thought I was going mad so connected the NowTV directly to the kitchen tv and it works, swapped the outputs and it now works in the kitchen but not the lounge. 

Are Roku boxes designed that they can't be run to 2 tv's at the same time? 

4 REPLIES 4
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976,

The NOW TV service permits you to register up-to four playback devices and view their service on up-to two at the same time. You can find out which devices you currently have registered by selecting the: 'My Account' button and accessing 'Manage Devices'.

That being said, your HDMI switch may be the problem here, as many either don't support HDCP or corrupt the HDCP signal that both your TV and NOW TV needs. Also, very long HDMI cable runs can also corrupt the signal run 😉

Cheers

Saint1976
Elite 3

Thanks for the reply

If it was the HDMI cable length (up to 7.5m is fine) then the other devices wouldn't work in the kitchen when connected directly using the same cable, which they do. If it was an HDCP issue then the NowTV wouldn't work on 1 tv through the matrix let alone trying on 2.

I'll have to do some more digging.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

So have you connected the NOW TV box to the end of your 5m HDMI lead @Saint1976?

Saint1976
Elite 3

Yes. Maybe I wasn't clear in the original post ("I thought I was going mad so connected the NowTV directly to the kitchen tv and it works, swapped the outputs and it now works in the kitchen but not the lounge.")  but I used that lead to connect directly from the box in the lounge to the kitchen tv.

There are a few threads I've found on various av forums and Roku's own site mentioning the same with no answer. I'll buy another box and test that.