cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HDMI Switcher Conflict

Hi All

So I recently bought the NowTV box and on the day I received it typically there was an issue and I had to wait to install it while engineers fixed the problem. When done I set my box up and everythig was great appart from the fact my TV only has 1 HDMI port and I need 2 as I also have a Tivo box. So today an automatic HDMI switcher has arrived. I have plugged the 2 devices in BUT because the Now TV box doesn't actually turn off I still cannot watch my Tivo box as the switcher will only recognise the port used by the Now TV box. Other than switching it off at the mains is there any other way I can actually put the Now TV box in a standby mode that will allow me to watch my Tivo box?? It is really frustrating there is no on/off (standby) switch on the box or the remote??

Thanks for your advice/help in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I'm guessing the switcher doesn't have a manual switch you can use to override and choose which HDMI?

Unfortunately there is no standby option on the box as it's intended to manage it's own power settings and drop into sleep when it thinks the TV is turned off. 

There is a hidden way of forcing it into standby but it will be a pain to do each time. However press home on your remote to go to the startup screen, then try the following button sequence on your remote quickly and smoothly to open the secret menu

Home-Home-Home-Home-Home
-FF-Play-RW-Play-FF

Then select 'System Operations Menu'
 and then 'System Suspend'

If the switch still doesn't release, you may need to look at a manual HDMI switcher instead.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy, no I purposely bought an automatic one as it is behind the tv so would be more awkward to use a manual one.

Why has the box been designed to not actually be turned off by the user? In this day and age when we are all more vigilant regards eco products surely it would be more beneficial to be able to properly put the box in standby mode as soon as you have finished with it instead of leaving it waiting.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

It's just the way Roku design their boxes I'm afraid. Streaming boxes usually draw very little power anyway due to the lack of moving parts.

The box does have an eco mode which puts it into standby automatically when the TV is turned off or you switch to another input. Unfortunately the problem in your case is you are not physically doing either of those things so the smart box doesn't know you want it to power down. 

You'd either have to use the secret menu option, physically unplug the box or HDMI cable, or consider a box with manual switching (although you wouldn't be able to have it behind the TV as you'd either need to physically switch it or have line of sight for the IR remote to work if you go for a switch with remote).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

What's the make and model number of your HDMI switcher? Sufficed to say, some function a lot better than others Smiley Surprised

Geluk
Expert 2

Or you could use tv remote to switch from hdmi input to TV; after short period you

should notice NOWTV box led go off.

Can you then activate the VIVO & then swap TV to hdmi.

Legend 5
Legend 5

I have a switcher with a remote got it from Amazon works fine with boxes and other devices.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had NOW TV for a couple of years. Mainly O.K.

Just installed a Humax Freeview recorder.

Now TV slots into HDMI one on my Panasonic TV. Humax plugs into HDMI port two.

As soon as I activate the NOW box I cannot use or switch to my Humax. If I cannot use the Humax and NOW TV in tandam - there is no "OFF" button on the NOW TV box -  then I'll have to give up NOW TV. Shame, because the entertainment package is O.K.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Bit of a long shot, but what happens if you go into the nowtv box settings and disable (untick) the 1 touch control feature. 

Can you then switch over to the HDMI input source on your Humax Box to use it ?

Also, maybe try having a play around in your Panasonic TV settings under Veria Link to see if that makes any difference when you want to use the Humax box.

Perhaps swapping over the HDMI inputs on the TV and see if connecting the nowtv box to input 2 and the Humax box to input 1 makes any difference.

Also double check there is nothing in the Humax box menu settings causing the conflict.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for your full response. Humax have now sorted the problem for me. Turned out a factory reset was required.

Again - thank you.