cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HD picture quality on plus box

Signal breaks up on HD channels. It’s not an aerial issue as HD signal is fine on other TVs plugged directly into aerial. I have tried to rescan channels and also done a factory reset.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I meant Now TV smart box if not clear.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Are you sharing the TV aerial on both your smart box and your TV inbuilt tuner ?

If so, If you temporary discount the TV aerial into your TV and remove any Y splitter etc and connect the main incoming coaxial aerial cable directly into your smart box, then re scan the channels on the box.

Then see if the HD channels on the box are stable or not ?

If there is no break up of the HD channels on the smart box after the above, then try adding your TV inbuilt tuner back into the TV aerial wiring installation.

Also, check on this website below if there is no scheduled maintenance on your local TV transmitter that could be weaking the incoming TV signal to the house, which could be effecting the TV reception when sharing two or more TV tuners.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/planned_engineering_works

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your ideas. However, it is direct aerial link and same link to standard Freeciew HD Tv works fine.

Ive now spent 2 hours on chat support with Now Tv and their conclusion was to return to retailer for a replacement. I’m not convinced as it worked fine for a few months and then got the issue. I wonder if it is a software update issue.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Some nowtv smart box owners have reported that adding a Y splitter into the aerial wiring may help, where the smart box latches onto the weakest TV repeater in their area and by adding a Y splitter and sharing the incoming TV signal with another TV Freeview tuner forces the smart box to seek out another local TV transmitter in the area.

Can't say it will work, but if you have a TV Y splitter knocking around the house or have another Freeview device with a RF loop through, then there is no harm giving it a go.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Another thing you could try is a forced software update on the smart box by going into the secret menu by pressing the Home button x 5 on the RC, then quickly press the FF button x 3, then quickly press the RW button x 2.

You should then be presented on screen with a secret menu, where you can update the software on the box and even if it says that you are on the current up to date version still update it.

Might be worth a try, especially if you say that the HD Freeview channels was previously working fine on the smart box until recently.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestion. I’d did update the software via this secret menu and in fact via another secret menu suggested by Now TV Support - neither worked.

Since then Now TV advised getting the box replaced.

I have replaced the Now TV Smart Box and that still has not resolved the issue.

The only thing that has changed over the time I’ve had the original box since it first worked is the software itself that has updated.

In summary,

Aerial works fine for other TVs with built in HD Freeview - box doesn’t work on same TV
I have tried multiple HDMI cables.
Aerial cable is same one used on other TVs that work OK.
Software has been updated via secret menu too.

Not sure what else I can do. Frustrating that it worked fine for several months.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m thinking the issue may relate to the transmitter changes in Lindon area on 21st March 2018

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/freeview-changes-in-london-21st-march.html

Now Smart TV boxes are specifically mentioned and although other TVs retuned without issue, it might be that the Smart Box is not returning properly since the changes despite using a factory reset.