cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HD channels flicker at bottom of TV screen

Hi we have the new smart box and I've noticed that on the freeview HD channels it flickers at the bottom of the screen . Doesn't do it on any other channels only the HD ones . Any ideas why?

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI,

The model of the TV is a Sony KD49XD8088BU 49 inch

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the flicker on just HD channels, as far as I can see. I am interested to know if this problem is likely to be fixed by an update, or should I take my unit back and try another one or will it always give a slightly annoying HD picture with my set-up. The picture quality generally is very good, with greens slightly too blue, and it was for the HD I bought it as my Sony Full HD Smart TV only has an SD tuner.

The box serial number is 56866E953291

TV is Sony KDL-24EX320

Cheers,

RHA

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've got exactly the same problem on a PANASONIC TX-P42G15B. Everything is working fine, except when viewing live Freeview HD channels, you get this really annoying "flashing" at the bottom of the screen. This gets stupidly bad when viewing dark scenes and really spoils your experience of an otherwise great TV box. Unless someone from NOW TV acknowledges this problem, I'm going to take mine back to Agros as faulty and get an exchange. If that's got the same fault, I'll get a refund.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same fault. Now TV box and 4k hisence tv two weeks old. White line flicking bottom of screen on dark or black sceens. Only on HD channels. Doesn't do it on 720 display. Doesnt do it with internal freeview tuner. Tried various HDMI cables including QED  reference cable. Come on now TV R&D guys you need to fix this. !!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seeing exactly the same problem here on my 7+ year old Samsung TV. Bought the new Smart Box a couple of weeks ago and immediately noticed this flickering white line at the bottom of all Freeview HD channels. Very distracting during darker scenes. Dragon's Den on BBC Two HD was unwatchable for me with this issue.

I also see some distortion/mirroring at the bottom of the picture on all Freeview SD channels, this may or may not be connected to the flickering white line problem at the bottom of the HD channels, but don't get either of these issues on my satellite box connected to the same TV.

Set the output to 1080p on the box and overscan off on TV - on mine this is called 'Screen Fit' - so you see the full picture without loss to the edges and definition.

I would suggest Now TV seriously look into this as it's clear from this forum it is a problem and has been going on for too long now without a fix.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the exact same problem with my smart box which I have just started using. Something needs to be done about it, it can be very distracting!

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have the exact same problem with my smart box which I have just started using. Something needs to be done about it, it can be very distracting!

Hi @Anonymous User,

What make and model of TV doe you have?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The make and model of the TV has nothing to do with it. I have tried it on three completely different TV's and it does the same. There is clearly a fault with the boxes which needs to be addressed.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

The make and model of the TV has nothing to do with it. I have tried it on three completely different TV's and it does the same. There is clearly a fault with the boxes which needs to be addressed.

It's helpful to know the makes and models of all affected televisions, as it helps narrow down the issue to specific types of chip-sets!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Since the software update at the end of February the flickering problems that I was getting on my HD channels has been fixed.

Thank you for sorting this out!