cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glitch on my box or everyones?

New Smart box arrived today set it up and something isn't right. When I go into tv guide and select NOW TV then select what to watch the Now TV app fires up and I have to select the stream I want to watch again. Is this an issue with everyone's or just mine.

Also my box arrived with the seal cut, the remote bag open and the batteries lose in the box not in their usual shrink wrapped plastic - surely I've not been sent a returns unit as a new box already?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

I've just picked this one up from Andy and sent you an email to the address registered on your account.

Thanks,

Ryan
NOW TV Team

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Its not a glitch on the EPG unfortunately, all smart boxes are working like this.

Currently going to TV Guide EPG on the homepage, then slecting the NowTV section of the live channels only takes you to the secondary Now TV live channels list in each section of the entertainment, movies, sports in the NowTV menu and wont play straight off the fly.

At the moment the smart box doesn't offer a direct link method from the homepage TV Guide EPG to start playing the live NowTV show or movie and only takes you to the corresponding entertainment, movie or sports live channel list where you then need to re select the live channel you wish to watch.

My smart box remote controller was in a sealed bag and the batteries were also sealed in it's plastic wrapping (sounds like the packing has already been open to me).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The TV guide issue you report is normal behaviour sadly. Your box was likely sold to someone who realised it was not as smart as NOW TV seem to think it is and returned it, then sold on to you. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmmmm, it definitely isn't what I was hoping for, another half baked attempt from Sky. Bloody cooling fan is loud on it too - they definitely aren't passively cooled like the older boxes!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The fan on the NowTV smart box has a similar noise level to my BT YouView box IMO.

I am guessing they need a fan cooling solution to keep the faster quad core processors cooler compared to the dual core processors that would run at a lower temperature on the standard black box ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

The fan on the NowTV smart box has a similar noise level to my BT YouView box IMO.

I am guessing they need a fan cooling solution to keep the faster quad core processors cooler compared to the dual core processors that would run at a lower temperature on the standard black box ?

Yep if you don't have the fan you need massive passive heat sink and that puts the price up...

Apple TV and Fire TV, Have huge lumps of metal as Passive heat sinks puting the price up...

Image 1/3: Heat rises, so this heat-generating component lives on top of the stack, with the heat-sensitive logic board beneath. 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Apple TV and Fire TV, Have huge lumps of metal as Passive heat sinks puting the price up...

The fact that the Apple TV incorporates an AC -to- DC PSU within their devices doesn't help either Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

The fact that the Apple TV incorporates an AC -to- DC PSU within their devices doesn't help either Smiley Surprised

Yep. they had to.... don't want to get sued over getting a elecy shock like Fire tablet users... as the power brick can fall apart...

Spoiler

We have determined that, in rare cases, when the power adapter included with the UK Fire 7" andUK Fire Kids Edition 7" tablet is pulled from the wall socket, the adapter assembly may detach and create a risk of electrical shock.

Customer safety is our top priority, and we are proactively offering to replace affected poweradapters with a new adapter, free of charge. There are two options for replacing your adapter:

We can apply a £12 credit to your Amazon account so you can purchase a power adapter of your choice. 

£12 refund woot... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous User

Would you be able to PM me the box serial number and I will look into why your box wasn't sealed and stuff.

You shouldn't have received a box with the seal cut, or things out there plastic bags etc

Cheers

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Andy,

I've already put in a complaint with CS over this but the serial number is
56865A233154. As I mentioned on the forum the seal was cut on the box, the
remote plastic was opened tho the remote still had the protective plastic
over the ir blaster, the box itself looked like the protective cover on the
top had been partially peeled and replaced as it was lifted from the front
but the box was in factory state when powered up and the duracell batteries
were loose within the box and not sealed. The HDMI cable was as I would