cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Faulty new Smart Box

Just received a new Smart Box. Went through the setting up procedure ok and logged into my NowTV account. Started to watch a programme and after about thirty seconds it failed. Did a factory reset and repeated the procedure with the same result. The remote seems to unpair and go into a loop when trying to re-link as well as doing many other strange things. 

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I would try fresh batteries (even though it's a brand new box) and re pair the remote again following these instructions below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-pair-your-smart-remote

If that doesn't work and your Router is dual band then try the smart box on both 5ghz & 2.4ghz.

Should you be still getting no joy, then either take or send back the smart box back to the place you purchased it from and ask for a replacement.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Schnapps

Thank you for replying.  Checked batteries with a voltmeter and ammeter and appear ok, however I did replace them with known good batteries. Switched on and it booted up went right through and I logged on to BBC IPlayer including the BBC sign in. Started to watch a programme which ran for about two minutes and the system crashed. Managed to reboot by switching the power supply off/on and started to navigate through the settings menu to check for software updates. After confirming all up to date it freezes and after about a minute returns to the NowTV landing screen.

I'm connected via an ethernet connection thus eliminating any wi fi issues. Had I purchased this from a store it would have gone back long ago but I got direct from NowTV and that is the real crux of the problem. There is no established way of bringing this to their attention so that the box can be replaced. I already have an account with them and when I log in and go to their chat line it greys out and puts a stop sign up.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I would try another factory reset by going into the box secret menu by pressing the Home button 5 times, quickly followed by pressing the FF button 3 times, then quickly press the RW button 2 times on the remote to access the hidden menu.

Should the factory reset doesn't make any difference with the same issues, then go back into the secret menu again and try a forced software update and even if you are on the same version number still force an update on the box.

Also out of curiosity who is your ISP ?

If still no joy, try live chat again from the link page below and if it's still greyed out, then try a different Internet browser with the ad blocker disabled or try a private / incognito mode in your browser when attempting to contact live chat.

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schnapps

It turned out to be a faulty box after I manage to get onto the chat line on another browser.

Many thanks for the advice.