cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stammie1609
Expert

Does the new 4K box switch framerates?

As the question says does the new 4K smart box switch framerates (I.E. 50Hz and 60Hz)?

I've tried Netflix on my old (freeview) smart box and there are definate framerate issues on Netflix as the box is locked at 50Hz.

Even better would be for it to do this dynamically and also support 24P and 29.997 Framerates but I guess that would be a pipedream.

If it cannot change framerates the new box is a dead duck for me

3 REPLIES 3
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@stammie1609 wrote:

As the question says does the new 4K smart box switch framerates (I.E. 50Hz and 60Hz)?

I've tried Netflix on my old (freeview) smart box and there are definate framerate issues on Netflix as the box is locked at 50Hz.

Even better would be for it to do this dynamically and also support 24P and 29.997 Framerates but I guess that would be a pipedream.

If it cannot change framerates the new box is a dead duck for me

Gonna have a look into this for you now @stammie1609 

Good question.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @stammie1609

In default mode the new smart 4k box outputs 60hz.

If you go into the advanced system settings on the box there is an option to enable auto refresh rate.

With this enabled nowtv content is outputing 50hz on the box where the nowtv UI is 60hz, so expect your TV screen to go temporary blank when it auto refreshers to the new rate.

The Netflix App when inside the UI is 60hz and when playing content Netflix is 24hz according to the info button on my Panasonic TV.

YouTube (depending how it's been shot on video) shows 24, 25, 30, 50 & 60hz.

What i can tell the auto frame rate feature seems identical to my Roku Stick Plus.

To my eyes everything looks silky smooth with no judder.

I haven't got a nowtv sports pass to test on the smart box, but i would assume it's 25hz ?

stammie1609
Expert

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @stammie1609

In default mode the new smart 4k box outputs 60hz.

If you go into the advanced system settings on the box there is an option to enable auto refresh rate.

With this enabled nowtv content is outputing 50hz on the box where the nowtv UI is 60hz, so expect your TV screen to go temporary blank when it auto refreshers to the new rate.

The Netflix App when inside the UI is 60hz and when playing content Netflix is 24hz according to the info button on my Panasonic TV.

YouTube (depending how it's been shot on video) shows 24, 25, 30, 50 & 60hz.

What i can tell the auto frame rate feature seems identical to my Roku Stick Plus.

To my eyes everything looks silky smooth with no judder.

I haven't got a nowtv sports pass to test on the smart box, but i would assume it's 25hz ?

Thanks, this sounds a promising device, but I think I'll wait a while before investing in one, when BT Sports is added and Now TV have confirmed its specifications as well as upgraded their services to at least full HD@50Hz it might be my new tech purchase.

As an aside to @Tony-D if this device does indeed switch framerates dynamically what are the chances your paymasters at Sky could be persuaded to add other apps to the Now TV app store?For example there are two sports services that I can think of that would complement the offerings on Now TV that don't directly compete with Sky, the first is NFL Gamepass who's service specifically blacks out any Sky games in the UK, the second would be Eurosport Player who's content doesn't really clash with Sky's.

Amazon Prime being added would really make this a go to device for many people but I wont hold my breath for that service being added to any Sky box (although you never know now Comcast are taking control, US media companies seem far more forward thinking than UK ones)