cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does the Smart Box need an aerial?

Apologies if this question has been asked hundreds of times already, but does the new Smart box require a digital aerial to watch Freeview channels live? The idea I got from the Live Chat advisor is that I would be able to watch the Freeview channels via my broadband connection and no aerial of any type was needed.

Is anyone able to confirm that I would be able to watch BBC, Channel 4 etc live still just using a broadband connection?

Thankyou in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

You definitely need an indoor or outdoor aerial to receive the Freeview stations on the new Smart Box.

I will make sure that our live chat agents are fully aware of this.

Thanks

Andy

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I thought that Freeview is now streamed through the new hub together with whatever NowTV subscription is in force, and therefore would also be streamed to any device connected wirelessly...

Hi again @Anonymous User,

Sorry but no... That's not how 'Freeview' works (see my previous post)...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks again for the prompt reply, that's cleared that up and at least I know I need separate aerial points now for each tv which requires Freeview.  Thank you!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Could anyone recommed an aerial so that I can receive all channels on my tv upstairs.

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

What's your Freeview coverage like in your area ?

Firstly i would use this Freeview checker tool linked below which will give you a general indication at your household address (please note these results are based on an external rooftop aerial where using an indoor portable aerial may give you mixed results).

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address#Pz1rDhKxH16JGl0h.97

Would look on Amazon UK for reviews which might help in your decision on which indoor portable aerial is best for you.

Whatever you decide to go with make sure that the Retailer offers a full refund if the aerial doesn't meet your requirements.