cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does the Smart Box need an aerial?

Apologies if this question has been asked hundreds of times already, but does the new Smart box require a digital aerial to watch Freeview channels live? The idea I got from the Live Chat advisor is that I would be able to watch the Freeview channels via my broadband connection and no aerial of any type was needed.

Is anyone able to confirm that I would be able to watch BBC, Channel 4 etc live still just using a broadband connection?

Thankyou in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

You definitely need an indoor or outdoor aerial to receive the Freeview stations on the new Smart Box.

I will make sure that our live chat agents are fully aware of this.

Thanks

Andy

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

To watch the Freeview channels on the new smart box you will need to connect the box to an aerial.

The BBC IPlayer, ITV hub, All 4 and Demand 5 apps on the box you can watch via your broadband internet connection.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks schnapps,

When I spoke to Live Chat they said I wouldn't need one and would be able to stream the Freeview channels via broadband. Do you know if there is any other work around other than having to get an aerial installed as my Sky dish will not work as an aerial if I cancel with them.

Thanks!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

To watch the Freeview TV & Radio channels you definitely need a TV aerial or Portable indoor type aerial.

With the BBC IPlayer and ITV hub app you can watch a Live TV stream with your internet.

How far is your local TV terrestrial transmitter from your house, perhaps looking at an indoor portable aerial for receiving the Freeview TV channels ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are somewhere between the Midhurst transmitter and Isle of Wight transmitter, I think closer to Midhurst slightly. 

We we do have the option of cancelling Sky and then using the box as a Freesat reviewer but would prefer to have everything in one box if possible

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User

Use these links below to check your post code for digital coverage etc.

Also, are you aware that the NowTV smart box has no hard drive recording feature.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

As somebody who has both the NOW TV Smart Box and Freesat I definitely wouldn't bother with the NOW TV Smart Box if you don't already have an aerial available. The interface on the box really isn't that great, and you'll find it more frustrating than continuing to use your Sky box as a Freesat from Sky receiver.

Whilst I appreciate you'd like one box to do both, the Sky box alongside a normal NOW TV box (I'm assuming you might have one already?) do a better job between them, and the money you would spend on buying a NOW TV Smart Box and aerial setup could be put towards a Freesat+ box with the ability to record programmes if you so wished.

The only reason I would go for the Freeview setup in your situation is if you were desperate to watch Dave which is available on Freeview but not Freesat/Freesat from Sky.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

I've been looking into Now TV to try and reduce my costs. I currently have Sky on the Original Bundke with Cinema and Sports and HD. Losing the Cinema and Sports would save me around £30 a month, and they have offered me the Original Bundle with HD for £28.87 for 12 months. Switching to Now TV with the Entertainment Pass would only cost me £6.99 per month and buy a Sports Pass as and when needed. 

An an iinitial outlay for an aerial (hopefully an indoor one should work) and the Smart Box would be recouped in no time given the potentially big savings I would make as we don't use Cinema and Sports enough to justify the monthly outlay. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Although don't forget you can buy the normal black NOW TV box at a much cheaper price and then use your Sky box as a Freesat from Sky receiver and not bother messing around with aerials. However the choice is yours!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

Quick question, never been a Sky subscriber or owned a Sky plus box before, but was just wondering if you cancel your Sky package completely, do you still get some sort of EPG and does the hard drive recording feature of the box still work whilst viewing the free to air channels over your existing satellite dish ?

Just curious that all.