cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Demand 5 vs My 5 on Now tv Smart box

Hi, hoping someone can help.

i've been utterly unable to find X-Files on catchup on the Demand 5 app on now tv smart box.

I've can see the episodes on the My 5 app on my tablet and my samsung tv.

I've looked in now tv app store, there's no My 5, only Demand 5.

is this correct?

is there only a really out of date Demand 5 app available, and not My5????

and why are certain series available on My5 and not Demand 5?

what on earth is the difference between to the 2 apps?

thanks and regards,

30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My5 includes catch up from Blaze and 5Select alongside the normal channel5 stuff. 5select has some 1st run material. I'm currently watching an Irish drama series called Striking Out on it which is pretty good (I have it on a Youview box).

https://www.my5.tv/

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I didn't know that, thanks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You're welcome Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I am not a heavy user on the terrestrial catchup Apps (apart from BBC iPlayer where the PQ is miles ahead of the rest) but with my limited time using the My5 App on my BT YouView box i do much prefer the layout of the UI over the Demand 5 App.

Also, like @Anonymous User mentioned there are two additional channels with My5, together a further section for My5 Exclusive content (though limited with the amount of programmes) that is not available on the Demand 5 App.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappswrote:

I am not a heavy user on the terrestrial catchup Apps (apart from BBC iPlayer where the PQ is miles ahead of the rest) but with my limited time using the My5 App on my BT YouView box i do much prefer the layout of the UI over the Demand 5 App.

Also, like @Anonymous User mentioned there are two additional channels with My5, together a further section for My5 Exclusive content (though limited with the amount of programmes) that is not available on the Demand 5 App.

The My5 UI is growing on me and I can now see where it probably makes the older Demand 5 UI a little dated. I suppose it's a case of the more you use something the more you come to appreciate it Smiley Happy

I'd just like to add how refreshing it is that you can mention other services in here and not get flayed alive for it unlike some forums I used to belong to Smiley LOL

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User What Channel 5 can do UI wise with an updated app on the boxes is partly down to the Roku SDK, it's no iOS when it comes to app design, you'll still end up with the same blocky feel, but Netflix and All4 have done a decent job so we'll see. I doubt a My5 box app will be winning design awards tho! 😉

As for the forum well it depends how strictly you interpret the forum rules, but luckily as long as we're not taking the mick the forum managers have a refreshingly liberal approach! I know what you mean about some forums, but don't worry if this forum ever goes totalitarian I'd be the first one dragged into an unmarked van .. I'm hopeful the forum members might rally around, as long as the ransom isn't more than £1.30!

Now better get back on-topic, another black mark 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I hear you re app layout. I'm happy enough with Demand 5 on the NowTV box. If I need more from 5 I can always use another avenue for My5.

I'll start your release fund @Andy at 2p. You're worth it Smiley LOL

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User You get a signed photo and a live stream of the interrogation room for that generous contribution! 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User You get a signed photo and a live stream of the interrogation room for that generous contribution! 😉

Not so sure about the photo Smiley LOL
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User What Channel 5 can do UI wise with an updated app on the boxes is partly down to the Roku SDK, it's no iOS when it comes to app design, you'll still end up with the same blocky feel, but Netflix and All4 have done a decent job so we'll see. I doubt a My5 box app will be winning design awards tho! 😉

That's not strictly true @Andy Smiley Wink

When it comes to developing apps for Roku developers have two choices. They can either use the basic Roku SDK and have the ability to change certain things or they want to be more in-depth about it. They can build apps from the ground up and use their own SDK

Some of the better apps on Roku include

• BBC iPlayer
  • BBC sport
  • All4
  • demand five
  • NowTV
  • Netflix
  • youtube
  • UKTV player

from what I understand all of the apps listed above aren't built using the basic Roku SDK, but they've course still have to develop within the limits of the Roku OS. Remember the Roku apps that are available for many services are still apps that are designed the much older versions of the Roku OS, so in reality many services developers are just making sure that they can support both the new and older hardware 

@Anonymous User . Don't worry too much about mentioning other services on the forum, but do make sure that the services you mention are legal content services. 

NowTV doesn't really mind people mentioning other services on here because NowTV is arguably designed to be an optional no contract addition to free to air TV and due to things like Youview and Freeview play. People get access to the free to air catch up/on demand services anyway. Plus all of the free to air catch up/on demand services are available on NowTV hardware. On NowTV hardware. We also have things like youtube and crunchyroll. Oh and by the end of the year users of NowTV hardware should be getting access to NetflixSmiley Wink

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.