cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Considering buying this box. Have these issues been resolved yet?

Hi. I am considering buying the Smart Box but would like to know if it has the following features - some of these are things I found reading the forum and reports from other users that to be honest put me off buying sooner.

1. "selecting any of the Now TV channels doesn't take you directly to that channel; instead it launches the Now TV app, and from there you need to select the channel again"

2. 7 day EPG - or at least a few days?

3. Possible to pause freeview channels AND Now TV entertainment channels

4. Are the NOW tv entertainment channels listed in the same TV guide as the freeview channels?

5. More of a feature request this one, but one of the reasons my gf doesn't want to use this is becuase she likes recording programs she can then watch later. Nowadays nearly everything is available on-demand but remembering to watch that tv show you saw advertised once is unlikely, it would be great if there was a way to add a program to a 'watchlist' that you can then view later and it attempts to find that program on one of the on-demand services. This would be almost feel like recording a show, but instead just creates a list that loads some service.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi. I am considering buying the Smart Box but would like to know if it has the following features - some of these are things I found reading the forum and reports from other users that to be honest put me off buying sooner.

1. "selecting any of the Now TV channels doesn't take you directly to that channel; instead it launches the Now TV app, and from there you need to select the channel again"

2. 7 day EPG - or at least a few days?

3. Possible to pause freeview channels AND Now TV entertainment channels

4. Are the NOW tv entertainment channels listed in the same TV guide as the freeview channels?

5. More of a feature request this one, but one of the reasons my gf doesn't want to use this is becuase she likes recording programs she can then watch later. Nowadays nearly everything is available on-demand but remembering to watch that tv show you saw advertised once is unlikely, it would be great if there was a way to add a program to a 'watchlist' that you can then view later and it attempts to find that program on one of the on-demand services. This would be almost feel like recording a show, but instead just creates a list that loads some service.

Thanks.

1) yes it now takes you into app

2) no is just now and next

3) yes that feature has been available since the trial

4) the now channels are in the same tv guide always have been, just not on a continuous list.  They have their own tab

5) If you add the first of a series into the watch list the next episode automatically appears when available.   Of course not everything appears on demand

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it good value of money the Smart Box could someone let me know please.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not for £49/£69 I dont think so unless you want a proper 50hz output to reduce the frame judder some experience eg football on Sky Sports.

Luckily I got one for £24.99 in the Friday sales today before they finished.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I got mine during the trial. It is comparable in price to other devices. It is however a lot more expensive than the black box. It is arguably better quality and of course you get the Freeview tuner. There are a number of improvements most folk would like to see across Now such as better EPG. Whether these will be implemented remains to be seen. One improvement since the trial is direct launch of Now content from within the app. Of course like all Now boxes you can add Plex should you wish to.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.